Contract: Permanent, full time
Salary: £33,000 - £38,000 per annum
Accommodation: there is the option to live in or out with this role
Location: Southampton, SO30 2HL
Closing date: Sunday 26 November 2023
We’re recruiting a Centre Manager for our Southampton rehoming centre. Our beautiful centre opened in 1988 and occupies approximately three acres of land in a discrete location surrounded by fields where we can walk our dogs, providing some wonderful enrichment in a quiet environment. The centre has facilities to care for dogs and cats, as well as a specialised area for puppies and kittens. We also operate a pet food bank for those that might need our support within the local area.
More about the role
This is a fantastic and rare opportunity to deliver rehoming services. It goes without saying that we are looking for someone who is passionate about animal welfare and has significant experience of managing a team. We are looking for an inspiring leader who enjoys coaching and developing the team and can support them to build and maintain resilience in difficult times.
This role will suit someone who is a self-starter and enjoys the challenge of running all aspects of the centre. The ability to provide strong leadership guidance is critical as is the need to maintain a level head. This is a challenging role which provides opportunity to make a positive difference to the lives of pets. There will be tough days too but being able to see the bigger picture and approach the work with purpose will make this role rewarding.
In recent months the centre has undergone significant change so we’re looking for an individual skilled in developing individuals’ confidence, ability and performance while continuing to grow our rehoming and fostering services.
The standard hours are 37.5 hours per week on a locally agreed rota to include weekends and bank holidays.
Accommodation – this role comes with the option of on-site accommodation by way of a two-bedroom bungalow which includes a study/third bedroom and a large private garden!
If you excel in an environment where you can see the difference you make every day, then this is the role for you. Interested? Then apply and let’s work together to see if this is the role for you.
You will be a positive, inclusive, and innovative manager, you will also be an excellent manager of people, having skills which are finely honed by working in a similar, animal welfare related environment. You will be a positive and innovative leader with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with team members at all levels.
You will be able to lead a diverse team, developing and empowering others through effective management and coaching. It is critical that you have an understanding on how to drive performance improvements have and the skills and aptitude required to address under-performance promptly when required. You will also be a strong business manager with analytical skills, commercial acumen, and the capability to rigorously evaluate & problem solve.
You will know what it is like to work in an emotionally charged environment and have excellent ‘bounce back ability’ and resilience. In addition, you will be emotionally intelligent, showing empathy and knowing how to support colleagues and members of the public.
Knowledge, skills, and experience
- Significant experience of successfully motivating, leading, and developing high performance teams, including setting clearly defined objectives, and managing performance in an animal welfare setting.
- Strong knowledge of animal welfare/care, ensuring operational excellence in a similar animal welfare environment.
- A flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple complex issues and tasks in a changing environment with tight deadlines.
- Experience of positively embracing and adapting to change by identifying, leading, and managing change in line with organisational objectives.
- Financially aware and numerate.
- Proven experience of working constructively and collaboratively with colleagues from different teams.
- Interpersonal and consultative skills, including the ability to communicate, present, negotiate, influence, and build credibility with colleagues and external parties.
- Experience of working in a commercial environment where the need to control costs and deliver high levels of service are important.
- Significant experience of working in an emotionally charged environment, showing empathy, and demonstrating resilience under pressure and dealing with distressed people and animals.
- Current full driving licence.
- The ability to demonstrate, understand and apply our Blue Cross values
It would also be great if you had:
- Relevant animal related qualification.
- Experience of working effectively with and/or managing volunteers.
- Experience of acting as a spokesperson in print and broadcast media.
- Experience of keeping up to date with and applying good practice in your sector/role and encouraging those that you manage to do the same.
- IT literate with good experience of MS Office and other relevant IT systems as appropriate for the role.
- Understanding of safeguarding issues.
How to apply
Click the apply button below and complete the online application process before the closing date on Sunday 26 November 2023
The recruitment process will consist of a first stage competency-based interview and a tour of our wonderful site at our Southampton rehoming centre on Tuesday 5 December 2023 Shortlisted candidates will then be invited to a second-stage assessment centre via MS Teams on Tuesday 12 December 2023.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response.
Blue Cross benefits
Our people are the most important part of delivering our purpose. If it were not for their amazing efforts and commitment, we would not be able to make the difference that we do today.
In return, Blue Cross wants to ensure we provide you with the best working environment we can. We want you to be happy working for us and will do everything we can to make sure you are.
Our generous benefits package includes:
- Option to live onsite
- Enhanced annual leave entitlement: 30 days plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme with enhanced employer contribution
- Health cash plan
- Life assurance
- Unlimited access to an employee assistance programme
- Programmes for physical and mental wellbeing support
- Free access to GP via MetLife
- Recognition scheme Annual volunteer days
- Claim for professional fees
To read more about the benefits Blue Cross has to offer, please visit the 'why work for us' page on our website.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.