We're looking for an exceptional individual to join our award-winning team to lead our Support and Information Service. The successful candidate will play a key role devloping the Service to ensure we aim to reach all primary bone cancer patients and continue to meet the needs of our community.
A bit about us...
The Bone Cancer Research Trust (BCRT) is the leading charity dedicated to fighting primary bone cancer. Our mission is to save lives and improve outcomes through research, information, awareness and support. In 2019 we were awarded 'National Healthcare & Medical Research Charity of the Year' at the National Charity Awards and in 2021 we were awarded an Advocacy in Action Gold Award for our Awareness Initiative project at the Sarcoma Patients EuroNet Conference. We are a small but incredibly passionate and driven organisation that is proud and supportive of our people. Together we are #TeamBones and we make a big impact for our community.
Our Support & Information Service...
No one should feel alone when diagnosed with primary bone cancer. The Bone Cancer Research Trust strives to provide a supportive network for all PBC patients to limit their feelings of isolation and anxiety. Given the rarity of the disease, PBC patients can often go through their entire treatment and recovery without meeting another patient so external support is vital.
Over the last 2 and a half years, our Support & Information Service has developed to become a leading service for patients, family members, siblings and friends of patients, providing direct support and/or specialist information. The Support & Information Service is comprised of:
- A freephone Support & Information telephone line and email (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm).
- Financial assistance grants for every new patient in the UK.
- Virtual primary bone cancer & bone tumour support groups across the UK.
- Confidential and professional support from our Support & Information Team.
- Access to reliable, accurate and award-winning bone cancer and bone tumour specific information.
- An annual conference, bringing together our community in a supportive and safe environment.
- A library of Support & Information Webinars, covering topics pertinent to primary bone cancer.
- Dedicated primary bone cancer/ bone tumour digital support groups.
- Correct signposting to third party organisations.
- Access to patient stories and the opportunity to be connected with others who have had similar experiences.
About the role...
As Support Manager, you will lead and develop our Support and Information Service, providing line management to our Support Executive. You will be responsible for ensuring the Service meets the ever changing needs of our community by developing new and innovative ways of reaching and supporting patients of different ages and at different stages in their primary bone cancer journey. You will work with other organisations and sarcoma clinicians to provide a holistic approach to support.
As part of this role, you will liaise with both healthcare professionals, like-minded organisations and patients to develop new Support and Information resources and deliver our Flagship Support event - the Bone Cancer Conference.
You will be educated to a degree level in a health science or related subject, preferably nursing or physiotherapy or have significant expereince in a healthcare role or charity support service. You must have at least 2 years experience in a patient facing role, ideally working with cancer patients, and an understanding of safeguarding legislation.
You will be a natural people person, able to speak to our Support and Information Service users in an empathetic and calm manner.
As we are a small team, a team-player attitude is a must, as well as a positive and can-do approach.
If your passion is to be there for people in times of need, providing support and empathy and you have a natural ability to liaise with stakeholders, and determination to succeed, we would like to hear from you.
The application Process...
- Application form submission closing date: Friday 16th July
- Shortlisting and telephone interviews: W/C 19th July
- Interviews (via Zoom): 26th July / 27th July
For more details please see the full Job Description.