Do you want to join a start-up charity with ambitious plans?
One in four children leave primary school unable to read to the expected standard. These children can struggle for the rest of their lives.
Reading isn’t just about books. It’s about reading a road sign, a tweet, a text from your gran. It's understanding an online job application form and the prescription that could save your life.
Bookmark helps children develop the reading skills they need to succeed in school and beyond, by creating flexible volunteering in the heart of our communities.
Help us change the story for more children
We are looking for our second Community Manager to join the Bookmark team. Based in Central London, you will be at the heart of our community-focussed approach, playing a vital role in the local expansion of Bookmark through the inner London boroughs. You will have responsibility for building and supporting a network of Bookmark volunteers and fostering great relationships with schools in your local area. Championing Bookmark in your community, you will also play an important role in shaping the future requirements of our locally based teams.
We are a small but growing team of hard-working self-starters, who care about what we do. We aren't afraid to roll up our sleeves, try new ways of doing things, and support each other so that we can achieve our goals. If that sounds like you and you share our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you.
Building and supporting a network of Bookmark volunteers
- Support the volunteer onboarding process, including application review, interview preparation and facilitation, and liaison with applicants
- Build an engaged network of volunteers to help and support each other, facilitating volunteer meet-ups, events, and local reward and recognition activities
- Complete regular check-ins and progress meetings for volunteers
- Act as the main point of contact for volunteers in your local community
- Proactively identify, resolve and escalate (if appropriate) volunteer issues
- Provide volunteer training support and advice locally
- Support local volunteer recruitment through events and campaigns, and engaging local corporates, universities and other local partners
Fostering great relationships with schools in your local area
- Act as the main point of contact for schools in your local community
- Proactively identify, resolve and escalate (if appropriate) school issues
- Lead on volunteer introduction visits, when the volunteer is new to a school
- Act as the liaison between schools and volunteers in your local community
- Provide school training support and advice locally
- Lead on Bookmark induction at schools, including safeguarding, health and safety and school resources checks
Championing Bookmark in your community
- Support the identification of a local location strategy, such as engaging local partners to provide interview, work and meet-up spaces
- Support local fundraising events and community building activities
- Ongoing local community research to understand the area’s unique challenges and opportunities
Internal management responsibilities
- Proactive participation in forums with the central Bookmark team and a growing team of Bookmark Community Managers, to share best practice and generate new ideas to improve Bookmark’s offering to schools, volunteers and children
- Gather and share local stories with the Marketing and Communications team, to help tell our story
- Ensure input and maintenance of accurate and complete data on Bookmark systems for volunteers, schools and other associated individuals and organisations in your community
- Meet KPI targets for volunteer attraction and retention, children supported, active school relationships, impact on children, volunteer wellbeing and local fundraising
- Ensuring the implementation of Bookmark’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy and Safer Recruitment Policy, with your local schools and volunteers
- Facilitating the implementation of Bookmark’s Health and Safety Policy and procedures in your area, including the completion of location risk assessments
- Passionate about the charity’s mission, resilient and conveys a positive attitude
- Desire to grow and adapt in a start-up environment and build new communities
- Motivational and collaborative, with the ability to inspire others to get involved
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills, with ability to listen and show empathy for different audiences
- Demonstrates the ability to lead challenging conversations, when required
- A go-getter, who will take a proactive approach towards new and existing opportunities
- An understanding of the importance of safeguarding
- Superb organisational, administration and diary management skills
- Flexible, adaptable, tenacious and enjoys working in a fast-paced growth environment
- Willingness and suitability to work in environments with children and young adults
- Ability to travel locally for business and work flexibly
Bookmark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being and welfare of children and requires everyone associated with the charity, including all trustees, employees, and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will need to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including references from past employers and Disclosure and Barring Service checks. Bookmark is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all sections of society and communities we operate in.