Please apply by visiting our website and completing an application form. The deadline is 23:30 on Tuesday 8 December with interviews expected to take place between 14 - 23 December. This role combines home working with some office-based work in London.
We give children the reading skills and confidence they need for a fair chance in life, through our flexible volunteer-led programme. Our Community Managers are vital to the charity as they develop and foster great relationships with schools, where our volunteers deliver fun and engaging reading sessions with our children. We want to reach as many children as possible and Community Managers ensure that our empowered community of volunteers are motivated to continue their support.
Do you want to join a company with ambitious plans to make a social impact?
Each year, eight children in an average class will leave primary school unable to read well. These children often struggle in school, and beyond. Reading isn’t just about books. It’s about reading a road sign, a safety manual, a birthday card. It’s understanding a job application and the prescription that could help save your life.
When a child can navigate words, they can navigate the world. That’s why we’re helping children develop the reading skills they need to succeed by creating flexible volunteering at the heart of our communities. The Bookmark app matches schools with fully safeguarded, vetted and trained reading volunteers in the local community, at the tap of a button. Each volunteer delivers one-to-one reading sessions for a six-week programme with a child who needs extra help with their reading.
We are a small but growing team of hard-working people, who care about what we do. We love to roll up our sleeves, try new ways of doing things, and support each other so that we can achieve our goals. If that sounds like you and you share our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you.
Help us change the story for more children.
Bookmark is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community. We aim to create a working environment in which all individuals are able to make best use of their skills, free from discrimination or harassment, and in which all decisions are based on merit. We offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies and opportunity for flexible working arrangements to support team members from different backgrounds.
- Ensure that we reach as many children as possible by proactively managing the number of reading sessions completed each month
School attraction and engagement
- Attract and onboard new partner schools so that we can reach more children, in line with our school business development plan
- Work with Multi Academy Trusts and other partner organisations to engage with more schools
- Present clearly how we run our reading programmes to schools and answer any queries
- Engage with our current partner schools to ensure that they have an excellent experience and continue to post more programmes with us
- Engage with our current partner schools to reach as many children that need our help
- Act as the point of escalation for schools in your community
Volunteer attraction and engagement
- Support local volunteer recruitment through events and campaigns, and engaging local corporates, universities and other local partners
- Help grow an empowered community of volunteers who can provide regular reading support for more children, more often
- Drive engagement activities to ensure that volunteers help and support each other, facilitating volunteer communication, events, and reward and recognition initiatives
- Act as the point of escalation for volunteers in your community
- Lead on collaborations and partnerships with other organisations, as required, that align with our vision and values to support more children
- Meet KPI targets for number of reading sessions delivered, and numbers of active schools and volunteers
- Gather and share local stories and case studies with the central Marketing and Communications team, to help tell our story
- Lead on projects, as required, in order to improve and expand our services
- Continually seek opportunities to improve the volunteer and school experience
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve Bookmark’s processes across all areas
- Input and maintain accurate and up-to-date information on our systems, including Salesforce CRM and SharePoint
- Ensure that all activity helps to build Bookmark’s brand and is always brand compliant
- Passionate about our vision and mission
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including strong presentational skills
- A strong focus on safeguarding and a child-centred approach
- Ability to facilitate challenging conversations in a professional manner
- Friendly, inquisitive and helpful mindset
- Enthusiastic, professional and positive, with a strong desire to learn
- Experience working with or in schools is preferable
- Adept at positive stakeholder engagement across a variety of audiences
- Service delivery focussed with a desire to achieve targets and objectives
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Structured problem-solving approach with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and contribute as part of a team
- Ability to travel locally for business and work flexibly
- Flexible mindset to working in a busy organisation; willingness to adapt
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (particularly Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Technically literate with ability to support less-technically minded stakeholders
- Salesforce and / or SharePoint experience desirable
Bookmark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being and welfare of children and requires everyone associated with Bookmark, including all trustees, employees, and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will need to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including references from past employers and Disclosure and Barring Service checks. Bookmark is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all sections of society and communities we operate in.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.