Each year, eight children in an average class leave primary school unable to read well. These children often struggle in school, and beyond. Reading isn’t just about books. It’s about reading a road sign, a safety manual, a birthday card. It’s understanding a job application and the prescription that could help save your life.
When a child can navigate words, they can navigate the world. That’s why we’re helping children develop the reading skills they need to succeed by creating flexible volunteering at the heart of our communities. The Bookmark app matches schools with fully safeguarded, vetted and trained reading volunteers in the local community, at the tap of a button. Each volunteer delivers one-to-one reading sessions for a six-week programme with a child who needs extra help with their reading. For the children who need us, we’re changing their story.
We're looking for a creative, pro-active Head of Marketing and Communications to help us build our volunteer, school and funder community, and to grow the Bookmark brand. You will be part of a small Marketing and Communications team, line managing a Marketing and Communications Officer, and working closely with Bookmark's programme, community and fundraising teams.
The role is a 12-month maternity cover contract, for 3 days a week.
- Develop and deliver Bookmark’s marketing and communications strategy, to include brand management, marketing communications, digital and social media, and PR
- Evaluate the performance of marketing and communications channels and approaches and implement improvements where needed
- Line manage a Marketing and Communications Officer, ensuring they are supported and developed
- Develop brand assets and act as a 'brand guardian', ensuring the brand guidelines are followed and there is consistency across all marketing and communications
- Lead on copywriting and production of Bookmark’s marketing and communications materials for current and potential volunteers, partners, donors, schools and other audiences
- Maintain a bank of volunteer, partner and school case studies for use in marketing
Digital and social media
- Manage Bookmark’s digital marketing activity, producing content and maximising the performance of our website and all relevant social media channels
Media & PR
- Develop and deliver a media and PR plan to increase awareness and engagement with key audiences including corporate partners, volunteers and schools
- Ensure spokespeople are trained and supported, and act as a spokesperson when necessary
- Provide event management support for fundraising events, volunteer events and focus groups
- Lead on the engagement of ambassadors for media and events
- Manage relationships with suppliers such as printers, photographers, designers and agencies
- Manage the marketing and communications budget and report on return on investment
- Other ad hoc duties as appropriate for the charity during our scale-up phase
- Proven experience of developing and delivering marketing and / or communications plans
- Experience of developing and delivering PR campaigns, including media relations
- Experience of using website content management systems (Squarespace or similar), email marketing software (MailChimp or similar), social media management tools (Hootsuite or similar) and design programmes (InDesign or similar)
- Experience of commissioning and managing external suppliers and agencies
- 5+ years of experience in a senior marketing and communications role, ideally in the charity or education sectors
- Experience of supportive and effective line management
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled copywriter with the ability to communicate messages in a clear and engaging way
- A creative thinker with the ability to work across multiple online and offline channels
- Superb organisational skills with a proven ability to prioritise work to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships and influence others
- Ability to articulate Bookmark’s vision and mission with passion
- Ability to provide advice and support at all levels within the organisation
- Flexible, adaptable, tenacious and enjoys working in a fast-paced growth environment
- Highly self-motivated and able to work autonomously, take initiative and make decisions
- Ability to meet deadlines and targets and adopts a goal-oriented approach to work
- Sound knowledge of GDPR regulations
- Commitment to Bookmark’s core values and strategic direction
We are a small but growing team of self-starters, who care about what we do. We aren't afraid to roll up our sleeves, try new ways of doing things, and support each other so that we can achieve our goals. If that sounds like you and you share our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you.
Bookmark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being and welfare of children and requires everyone associated with the charity, including all trustees, employees, and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will need to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including references from past employers and Disclosure and Barring Service checks. Bookmark is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all sections of society and communities we operate in.
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter by midnight on Friday 10th July.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.