Job Title: Business Development Manager x 2
Reports to: Senior Business Development Manager
Location: 1 x based in Manchester and 1 x based in London
Salary: £34,000 - £40,000 for London
£32,000 - £37,000 for Manchester
Terms: 5 days per week (37.5 hours)
Overall Purpose of the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to develop and lead on a national Business Development approach as Breaking Barriers embarks on expansion plans to Manchester and Birmingham and scaling up support in London to reach more people from a refugee background.
At Breaking Barriers, we put businesses at the heart of our mission to help refugees find meaningful employment. We have a portfolio of award-winning corporate partnerships including BNY Mellon, Gucci, Bank of America and Grant Thornton. Since 2015 we have delivered employment and education support to people of a refugee background in London and partnered with businesses to find solutions that get refugees into work. In 2021, we will embark on national expansion into two new regions, Manchester and Birmingham.
The focus of this Business Development role will be to develop and secure relationships with companies that will fund our work and hire local people from a refugee background.
To join us on this journey and drive forward our ambitious growth plans, we need passionate Business Development Managers with backgrounds in corporate fundraising and partnerships, and/or recruitment and/or B2B sales. You will be confident working autonomously, strategically, and creatively with an entrepreneurial spirit to kick start our regional expansion and/or grow our support in London. You will connect and build relationships that pair corporate social responsibility and hiring needs, with the skills and motivations of Breaking Barriers refugee clients.
Working alongside the Senior Business Development Manager and Head of Corporate Partnerships supported by our strong track record in London, these new roles will be responsible for driving and securing new business relationships in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
You will need to take a data driven approach to make effective and strategic decisions and report back on outcomes whilst managing and growing a pipeline of business relationships. You will work collaboratively with the Corporate Partnerships team in London and local Employment teams to be sensitive and focused on the needs of people from a refugee background. An excellent communicator and relationship builder you will be ambassador for Breaking Barriers in these new regions and championing the value of refugees. The success of the role will be measured on relationships with businesses that meet our funding and hiring needs to get refugees in meaningful and stable employment.
- To demonstrate the value to businesses in supporting and hiring refugees and partnering with Breaking Barriers.
- To build a pipeline of potential partners, secure and launch our work with businesses in London, Manchester and Birmingham, focused on meaningful employment outcomes for refugees and strategic partnerships.
- Developing the tools, processes and relationships in these regions to secure and deliver partnership activity whilst working closely with colleagues in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
Key Accountabilities/ Responsibilities:
- Identify and grow pipeline of target companies that will unlock partnerships that lead to funding and employment outcomes for Breaking Barriers refugee clients in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
- Cultivate and secure strong relationships with businesses and take ownership to launch new partnerships linked to securing funding and employment outcomes for our clients.
- Develop and implement sector strategies that align to CSR objectives, local job market trends, hiring needs and offer meaningful employment opportunities for refugees in the local area.
- Develop and deliver tailored and compelling proposals and pitches to secure support.
- Take responsibility and accountability in London, Manchester and Birmingham for proactively generating leads, building networks, making contacts and bringing in new partnerships, researching prospective corporate partners, conducting due diligence and building a pipeline of potential relationships.
- Work closely with the Employment team in London, Manchester and Birmingham to ensure you identify business opportunities that meet our refugee client needs, skills and aspirations, and that we have clear understanding of our client pool.
- Support the Senior Business Development Manager by bringing regional insight, ideas and recommendations to develop and grow the national strategy to Business Development and increase our impact for refugees across the UK.
- Accurately forecast and report business development outcomes in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
- Ensure Breaking Barriers’ aims and objectives are met, legal and other guidelines adhered to and that new partnerships align with Breaking Barriers’ principles and mission and policies.
- Represent Breaking Barriers as required in external meetings and events, champion the value of refugees and work collaboratively with colleagues in Manchester, Birmingham and London to drive our mission forward.
Essential knowledge, experience, skills and attitudes:
- Significant experience of securing new partnerships in the private or third sector, commercial and/ or charity sector
- You will have proven success in managing and developing relationships with senior decision makers and experience of working in a recruitment/sales team
- Experience of project managing large project with clear objectives and multiple stakeholders, internal and external.
- Understanding of the recruitment landscape in either Birmingham or Manchester
- A proven track record of converting prospects and managing partnerships, a track record of business development, cultivating relationships and meeting targets
- Experience of monitoring, evaluating, and reporting back on results/outcomes.
- Strong understanding of hiring and recruitment pathways along with awareness of Corporate Social Responsibility and Diversity & Inclusion agendas.
- Strategic thinker – able to influence and bring others on a journey to inspire and deliver new partnerships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to adapt to difference audiences and effectively develop and influence external and internal relationships
- Ability to think creatively and to develop tailor made proposals to meet corporate and Breaking Barriers’ objectives
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage a varied workload in a pressured environment
- An understanding of, and commitment to, equal opportunities and diversity – and the commitment to promote high standards of conduct, integrity and probity
- A demonstrable passion for supporting refugees and marginaised groups.
- A highly proactive approach to researching and initiating new business opportunities
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to persuade, motivate, network and negotiate effectively, excellent ability to adapt approach and communication style with different audiences.
- A self-starter, able to work on own initiative where required / enthusiastic team-player with a can-do attitude.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to work well under pressure, meeting multiple competing deadlines in a complex environment.
- Creative problem solver, with exemplary relationship building and customer service skills
- A strong commercial understanding and outlook
- Excellent time management and project management skill, with the ability to complete multiple projects to meet often conflicting deadlines
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Breaking Barriers particularly welcomes applicants with experience of migration and/or a refugee background.
If you are looking for a role where you can make a real difference and drive forward Business Development, we want to hear from you.
To apply, please submit a CV and (a max) 500-word statement outlining: Why you are interested in the role and what skills and experience you would bring to be successful in this role. Please also specify your preference for London or Manchester based.
Please note that applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Applications close at midnight Sunday 31st October.
As we are recruiting for multiple roles we will be interviewing and reviewing applications on a rolling basis from 25th October, so please apply as soon as you can.