Job Title: Finance and Operations Assistant
Reports to: Finance and Operations Manager
Language Requirements: Fluent in English
Location: Hybrid working- Remote & Central London
Salary: £23,000-£26,000 + Study support
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Founded in 2015, Breaking Barriers is a charity with a mission to help refugees in London gain the knowledge, confidence and experience to secure stable and fulfilling employment in their new home. We offer effective and flexible employment support in direct partnership with businesses that help refugees secure work, progress into better jobs, and successfully integrate into UK society. We have a unique approach, working with corporate partners to help refugees develop careers that match their skills, experience and aspirations.
Since Breaking Barriers’ inception in 2015, we have supported over 1,100 people from a refugee background and have ambitious plans to expand this as part of our strategic plan. We concentrate on getting things done in a flexible environment where everyone is encouraged to take ownership and contribute. We are a team of 36 employees supported by several hundred volunteers, who are all driven and committed to helping London’s refugee community. We are looking for a similarly driven and ambitious individual keen to join an enterprising organisation where they can benefit from the opportunity to innovate and shape the direction of the charity. Colleagues who thrive are passionate, driven and have the confidence to work autonomously while remaining team players and sharing credit with all involved.
We are looking for someone who lives and breathes our values:
- Mission-led: our clients come before everything else.
- Welcoming: we want all people to feel happy, comfortable and secure with us.
- Collaborative: we are supportive and considerate, curiously exploring other viewpoints to find solutions.
- Enterprising: we are discerningly bold, entrepreneurial and have the courage to give things a go.
The overall purpose of this role is to create a safe, welcoming and confidential office environment for Breaking Barriers staff, volunteers and clients. With an eye for detail, this team member will be entrusted with vital administrative and operational tasks and to provide day to day support for the charity’s core functions, including Finance, HR and IT. Juggling routine workstreams with ad hoc tasks, this role will involve coordinating petty cash, onboarding new staff, confidential data management, and helping to troubleshoot issues that arise in day-to-day work.
The postholder should be excited about the work Breaking Barriers does and willing to support their colleagues in helping the charity to achieve its mission. They will demonstrate flexibility, a can-do attitude, sound judgement, reliability, and discretion. This role is a great opportunity for someone with a hands-on mindset and an interest in pursuing a career in finance who is always looking to get stuck in and execute operational tasks in an efficient and effective way.
The Finance & Operations Assistant will help power everything that we do – this is a great opportunity to learn first-hand how a start-up charity operates and play a key role in our future success.
We are a fast-growing charity that prides itself on its flexibility and responsiveness so your responsibilities may change, develop and grow according to the needs and development of our programmes.
1. Finance duties
- Obtaining, filing, and processing supplier invoices and credit notes.
- Reconciling bank statements.
- Managing expense systems.
- Supporting with the preparation of various reports.
- Supporting with month end and year end processes.
- Supporting with the annual audit.
- Dealing with a range of queries and identifying and resolving issues.
- Carrying out daily petty cash duties to ensure the smooth running of operations when face-to-face delivery resumes
- Helping to improve controls and process around finance and operations to ensure the smooth running of the organisation.
- Supporting the finance function with other finance processes.
- Supporting on large contract management to maintain good working relationships
2. HR Support
- Streamlining the onboarding process for new starters, including setting up equipment, logins, and paperwork, introducing them to BB’s processes and systems and teams.
- Coordinating the leaver’s process including asset returns and ensuring the secure transfer of data.
- Carrying out and reviewing wellbeing checks on staff.
3. Office and facilities management
- Take overall responsibility and ownership for the Breaking Barriers office, ensuring it is a welcoming, secure, and safe environment for staff, volunteers, and clients.
- Managing the room booking system and monitoring the remaining credits.
- Assist staff with remote working and facilitate hybrid working patterns
- Maintain inventory of office assets and accounts to ensure charity property is being used responsibly and in line with GDPR.
- Liaise with building management and third-party providers to resolve general facilities issues.
- Support the Health and Safety lead in identifying and implementing improvements to office safety and security.
- Ensure cleaning and hotdesking systems are working effectively to create a positive and clean working environment.
- Provide ad hoc support to staff on practical and technical issues.
4. IT support
- Procurement & Setup of new equipment, including laptops, phones, tablets and electronic accessories.
- Reallocating and monitoring existing equipment as necessary.
5. General operational support
- Responding to general enquiries or redirecting complex enquiries to different teams.
- Contributing to the wider team by participating in projects, working groups and other initiatives.
- An interest in pursuing a career in accountancy.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact confidently and with diplomacy both internally and externally.
- Meticulous and detailed in completing forms and paperwork.
- Highly organised and able to prioritise conflicting deadlines.
- Ability to manage and schedule time and prioritise tasks in a busy environment.
- Able to follow set processes, and to identify and implement improvements.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced IT skills.
- Able to find creative solutions and has a continuous improvement mindset. Looks for new and better ways to do things.
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information.
- A demonstrable interest and commitment to working with marginalised populations, particularly refugees.
- Experience of data protection and health and safety protocols.
- Lived experience - we welcome applicants from a refugee background.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Please submit a CV and Covering Letter. Applications without a covering letter will not be considered.
Applications close on 1st November.
We will be reviewing applications and conducting interviews on a rolling basis.