Operations Volunteer | Interpreter and/or Translator
Commitment: Ad hoc, 6 hours per month, for at least 3 months
About Breaking Barriers:
Breaking Barriers is a small, ambitious charity. Our vision is that every refugee in London can fulfil their potential and integrate into their new home through employment that matches with their skills and experience. Our Employment and Integration Advisers offer bespoke employment support, based on the needs of each individual client. We partner directly with businesses who provide work experience placements and deliver skills-based workshops. This support is coupled with English language, IT, and digital skills classes designed to prepare people for the UK labour market.
Breaking Barriers is looking for a team of volunteers to facilitate communication between Breaking Barriers staff and the clients we support. The role is remote and can fit around your existing commitments, although some responsibilities will need to be arranged around client and staff availability. The role requires fluency in English and one of the following languages:
- Interpreting between Employment and Integration Advisers and clients during employment support meetings (via phone or Zoom), supporting clients into employment, education or training.
- Interpreting during English classes (teaching experience desirable)
- Translating documents e.g., service overviews and employability resources, and impact surveys used for monitoring and evaluation.
- Fluency in English and one of the above languages.
- Interpretation or translation experience, either in the community or professionally.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Cultural awareness.
- Emotional resilience and patience.
- Alignment with Breaking Barriers’ mission.
- Commitment to three months of volunteering.
- Access to Zoom and WhatsApp if interpreting, and access to a laptop if translating
- Signing of a confidentiality form and a Bring Your own Device Policy and adhering to GDPR policies.
- Make a genuine impact on the lives of people from a refugee background.
- Training and support provided from our friendly and knowledgeable staff team.
- Be part of a new, innovative charity which is developing all the time.
In your application, please provide your CV and a short covering letter on why would like to volunteer, as well the language(s) you speak, whether you would like to be an interpreter, translator or both, and your availability.
Please note, we particularly encourage applicants from a refugee and/or migrant background.