Job Title: Programmes Administrator (Education)
Reports to: Education Programme Coordinator, with a dotted line to Volunteer Manager.
Location: Home-based / Central London, Greater London (with occasional travel within London)
Terms: 5 days per week (37.5 hours) (with occasional evening or weekend work, TOIL provided)
Language Requirements: Fluent English. A second language (Arabic/ Tigrinya/ Amharic/ Dari /Farsi/ Kurdish/ Pashto/ Tigre/ Somali) would be an advantage.
Founded in 2015, Breaking Barriers is a fast-paced, start-up charity with a mission to help refugees in London gain the knowledge, confidence and experience to secure stable and fulfilling employment in their new home.
We offer effective and flexible employment support in direct partnership with businesses that help refugees secure work, progress into better jobs, and successfully integrate into UK society. We have a unique approach, working with corporate partners to help refugees develop careers that match their skills, experience and aspirations.
Since Breaking Barriers’ inception in 2015, we have grown to support in excess of 500 refugees per year and have ambitious plans to expand this as part of our strategic plan. We concentrate on getting things done in a flexible environment where everyone is encouraged to take ownership and contribute.
We are a team of around 30 staff supported by several hundred volunteers, who are all driven and committed to helping London’s refugee community. We are looking for similarly driven and ambitious individuals keen to join an enterprising organisation where they can benefit from the opportunity to innovate and shape the direction of the charity. Colleagues who thrive are passionate, driven and have the confidence to work autonomously while remaining team players and sharing credit with all involved.
We are looking for someone who lives and breathes our values:
· Mission-led: our clients come before everything else.
· Welcoming: we want all people to feel happy, comfortable and secure with us.
· Collaborative: we are supportive and considerate, curiously exploring other viewpoints to find solutions.
· Enterprising: we are discerningly bold, entrepreneurial and have the courage to give things a go.
Overall Purpose of the Role
Breaking Barriers’ Education Programme was started in 2017 to complement our core Employment support. The Programme is designed to enable refugees to achieve the level of English that is needed to enter the workplace or further education by providing supplementary courses to statutory provision. Covering a range of levels of English language courses, from Pre-Beginner to Business Writing, the Programme has expanded to include IT and Numeracy and aims to branch out into further courses, such as Health and Safety. The Education Programme relies on skilled volunteers who lead our education courses and help clients learn English, improve their IT skills and support with curriculum development. Your primary responsibility will be to support the Education Programme Coordinator and the Volunteer Manager with operational administration to support the smooth running of the Education and Volunteering programmes.
The successful applicant will gain valuable programme assistant and administrative experience in the education and refugee sectors. This is an entry-level position but we envisage that the job holder will be able to take on more responsibility as they develop and as the organisation grows and changes.
Education coordination and administration
Breaking Barriers runs education classes and training sessions to support its main employment programme. Your responsibilities will include:
· Help with the recruitment and organisation of classes.
· Assist with the administration needed to organise volunteers working with the Education Programme.
· Liaise with volunteers and students by phone and email, providing information and dealing with basic queries.
· Call and text students to remind them of courses where necessary.
· Ensure that all necessary data is accurately recorded and kept up-to-date.
· Follow current administrative processes, ensuring that all paperwork is completed accurately and on-time.
· Undertake the administration to set up additional sector specific training courses.
· Coordinate with the Employment team to ensure clients within the Education programme are receiving holistic support, and that the programme continues to meet the needs of refugees also receiving other types of support.
· Conduct research into other English language and IT and Numeracy opportunities in the area to ensure that Breaking Barriers is not duplicating the work of other organisations, and identify opportunities for partnership where relevant.
· Take on additional duties and responsibilities, as and when needed, to ensure the smooth running of the Education Programme.
Volunteer coordination and administration
Breaking Barriers relies on volunteers who work with clients to provide help in finding employment or learning English, as such there is a natural crossover between the Volunteering and Education programmes. Volunteers may also assist in our offices. Your role involves:
· Responding to general enquiries about volunteering, providing details of the work.
· Tracking the progress of volunteer applications.
· Conducting the initial screening of volunteers.
· Providing feedback on applications and rejecting unsuccessful applications from volunteers, usually by email.
· Updating volunteer details into our database.
· Ensuring that confidentiality forms and references are obtained and uploaded.
· Monitoring volunteer availability.
· Dealing with volunteer expenses.
· Keeping in touch with volunteers, maintaining an on-going relationship by phone and email
· Managing volunteer training needs.
· Recognising outstanding contributions from volunteers.
· Helping to grow the number of volunteers, finding creative ways to recruit new volunteers and promoting more involvement from existing volunteers.
If you are looking for a role where you can make a real difference, we want to hear from you. The deadline for applications is Sunday, 23rd August at 11.30 PM. We will be actively interviewing candidates as and when we receive suitable applications, with a view to starting immediately, so please do not wait until the deadline to submit an application.
Please apply with a CV and cover letter. Due to capacity, we are unable to respond to all applications unless you are shortlisted. Please note, applications without a cover letter will not be considered. In their cover letter, applicants should demonstrate a strong understanding of the barriers refugees face finding employment in the UK and explain how providing free English and Training Courses can help tackle those barriers.
Please note, in light of the Covid-19 outbreak, all Breaking Barriers staff are working remotely and we will be conducting all interviews virtually for the foreseeable future.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Breaking Barriers particularly welcomes applicants with experience of migration and/or a refugee background.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.