Breakthrough's Fundraising Officer will play an important part in developing our frontline services and improving the diversification of our income.
Breakthrough UK is an organisation of disabled people, working to promote the rights, responsibilities and respect of disabled people in society. We seek to influence public policy at National, Regional and local level and we work with other organisations to remove barriers to employment and participation in society by disabled people. We provide a range of front line services to disabled people to enable them to live independently and exercise choice and control in their lives. Our policies and working practices are based on the Social Model of Disability.
Application packs can be downloaded from our website or requested by email or by telephone. Information is available in different formats on request.
Applications must be made on our standard Application Form, responding to the person specification. We do not accept CVs as part of our recruitment process.
Breakthrough UK is an equal opportunities employer and particularly welcomes applications from disabled candidates. As a disabled people’s organisation 66% of our Board Members are disabled people and over 50% of our current staff are disabled people.
Interview Date: Friday 8th or 15th January 2021
Fundraising Officer – Trusts, Tenders & Major Givers
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- To implement Breakthrough UK’s Strategic Plan and Fundraising Strategy
- Identify and assess potential sources of funds for the organisation that meet Breakthroughs strategic & business priorities
- To maintain a compelling case for support for use with current and potential donors and supporters.
- Advise the Chief Executive on the best method of approach, including an assessment of likeliness and cost effectiveness.
- Prepare an annual fundraising budget and plan for the organisation in conjunction with the Chief Executive and Board of Directors.
- To produce monthly reports against the annual plan and ensure accurate forecasts of likely fundraising income and expenditure.
- To liaise with Breakthrough’s Marketing and Communications Assistant to deliver a regular fundraising messaging.
- Work with the Chief Executive to refresh Breakthrough’s Fundraising Strategy
2. To raise funds from Trusts and Foundations and other major givers
- To research local, regional and national charitable trusts & foundations and major givers in order to identify suitable funding prospects.
- To work with Breakthrough colleagues to identify suitable projects which require funding.
- To research, write and submit high quality and targeted funding applications and tender responses within deadlines.
- To target individual and corporate donors wherever possible securing unrestricted funds for the organisation’s core operations.
- To be the key contact for fundraising or other events organised by external organisations in support of Breakthrough UK.
- To ensure high-quality stewardship, ensuring timely acknowledgments and reports are produced to meet donors’ requirements.
- Ensure that income from legacies is built into the wider fundraising strategy, to enhance the likelihood of long-term income being received by Breakthrough UK.
- To organise the annual Breakthrough raffle and other occasional events.
3. To respond to tender opportunities
- To work with the Business Manager and other managers to respond to tender opportunities.
- To contribute to the submission of high quality tender responses within deadlines.
- To work with other colleagues from other organisations as partners/ consortiums
4. To build and retain successful relationships to support the sustainability of funding
- Develop a core stewardship plan for the organisation, ensuring donors and supporters receive up to date and targeted information on Breakthrough UK’s work.
- Develop fundraising campaigns using BUKs website as a key platform to support organsational activity whilst ensuring BUKs values are maintained.
- Gather information from across the organisation’s work to include in donor communications, ensuring full cooperation of colleagues and stakeholders.
- Implement a stewardship calendar ensuring supporters receive an effective programme of communications, combining financial, programme and other information in conjunction with the Chief Executive and other stakeholders.
General work requirements
1. To work within Breakthrough UK’s values, ethos and vision.
2. To work in accordance with all Breakthrough UK’s policies and procedures.
3. To identify and attend training as required.
4. To work in accordance with all relevant legislation.
5. To participate pro-actively in regular supervision and annual performance appraisal.
6. To undertake any other duties as required, appropriate to the post.
7. To proactively work to continually improve personal competencies and professional practice including Breakthrough’s Core Competencies (see Person Specification below)
Person Specification- Fundraiser Officer Trusts, Tenders and Major Givers
1 General Skills and Knowledge:
1.1 Personal values: All applicants must display a genuine commitment to equality of opportunity and an understanding of the barriers that prevent full participation in society by marginalised or excluded groups and how these barriers can be removed. Means of Assessment Application form Interview
1.2 Excellent written and verbal communication skills (where necessary this can be through sign language interpreters or with communication equipment). Means of Assessment Application form Interview
1.3 The ability to work methodically, maintain standard procedures, and design and implement processes and procedures when needed.Means of Assessment Application form Interview
1.4 The ability to solve problems with minimum supervision and take ownership and responsibility when required for specified areas of work.Means of Assessment Applicationform Interview
1.5 The ability to work flexibly to meet business needs. Means of Assessment Interview
1.6 The ability to work to tight deadlines and be able to achieve individual, team and organisational targets, whilst maintaining a high quality of service to clients. Means of Assessment Interview
1.7 To provide support to work colleagues to assist with problem solving. Means of Assessment Interview
2 Fundraising skills, knowledge & experience
2.1 Experience of successfully raising funds from trusts and foundations.Means of Assessment Application form Interview
2.2 A good knowledge and understanding of the voluntary, community and enterprise sector and funding opportunities available. Application form InterviewMeans of Assessment
2.3 Excellent writing and proof reading skills Means of Assessment Application form Assessment
2.4 Experience of researching donors, writing targeted applications and carrying out donor stewardship Means of Assessment Application form Interview
2.5 Experience of developing or working with partnerships for bids or tender purposes Means of Assessment Application form
2.6 Experience of developing fundraising campaigns Means of Assessment Application form Interview
2.5 Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to manage own workload to a high standard Means of Assessment Interview
2.6 Confident with finances – with the ability to produce and understand ‘project’ budgets Means of Assessment Application form Assessment
2.7 A self-starter who can manage their own workload and motivate and influence others Means of Assessment Application form Interview
3 Core Competencies:
3.1 Understanding of The Social Model of Disability and independent living, and how to promote and apply both. Means of Assessment Interview
3.2 Ability to manage own professional development and keep up to date on: disability issues, the environment in which Breakthrough UK operates and other areas of equality and diversity. Means of Assessment Interview
3.3 Ability to critically appraise own and organisational performance.Means of Assessment Interview
3.4 Ability to promote the organisation to, and engage with, a wide audience of internal and external stakeholders.Means of Assessment Interview
3.5 Ability to create successful and long lasting partnerships to increase income
3.6 An appreciation of value for money.Means of Assessment Interview
3.7 Vision to identify new markets and business opportunities and make them happen. Means of Assessment Interview
3.8 Leadership and motivational skills, including self- motivation. Means of Assessment Interview
3.9 Ability to work flexibly and as part of a team. Means of Assessment Interview
Prepared – November 2020
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.