Role: An exciting new communications role, putting into action our communications strategy both for Bridge 5 Mill and in the lead up to and delivery of our Community Shares Campaign for the Kindling Farm.
We are at a challenging and exciting time in the life of our organisations and there has never been a more important time for us to communicate our vision, the opportunities we have to offer and the ways people can get involved. We are looking for someone with the experience, skills and energy to help us do that.
The Fairfield Group is a pioneering family of organisations based in Greater Manchester and promoting ecological and social justice through a number of activities and projects. Fairfield Environment Trust (FET) is the umbrella organisation, a registered charity that owns three delivery bodies: the Kindling Trust, Bridge 5 Mill and Fairfield Environmental Services (Fairfield Recycling). Each subsidiary focuses on a different aspect of FET’s objectives. This post would specifically focus on Bridge 5 Mill and The Kindling Trust.
Bridge 5 Mill is Manchester's first centre for sustainable living. We provide offices for a range of amazing tenants who share our vision and, we are a thriving centre and venue for many events and activities.
The Kindling Trust works to create a fairer, more sustainable society, starting with the food system. Over the last 13 years, Kindling have established and run a series of practical projects to engage people in sustainable food and farming. The next exciting stage of our development is to establish a pioneering agroforestry farm on 100 acres close to Manchester.
Six months ago, as for many organisations, our situation changed radically. We had to close Bridge 5 Mill to events and Kindling had to focus all of its resources on delivering our immediate work and, understandably in these uncertain times, some our staff moved on to new adventures. However, with our combined resources we have created a new role that we are very excited about and think works really well across the two organisations. We are looking for someone to work with us and lead on the communications strategy and implementation for our two organisations.
At Bridge 5 Mill, this role will promote our friendly, beautiful and ecologically sustainable building as a great office space and events venue. For the Kindling Trust the role will be to work with us in the lead up to and delivery of our very exciting Community Shares Campaign for our agroforestry farm.
Bridge 5 Mill Communications Role
To develop and improve our marketing and communications resources, including:
- Improving signage, displays etc. to enhance the Mill’s appeal and functionality.
- Developing clear and professional documentation such as vacant office details, tenancy agreements and tenant handbook.
- Developing marketing and publicity materials.
- Developing a strategy to promote Bridge 5 Mill across social media platforms, including; Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
To assist the Board of Directors to rebuild, maintain and maximise income from renting empty office space and room hirers by:
- Generating content (photos, text and video) for use in publicity material and on social media, involving the Mill’s facilities, activities, events and work of our tenants.
- Ensuring the content of Bridge 5 Mill marketing and publicity and social media activity promotes Bridge 5 Mill as a unique, professional and inspiring events venue and office space.
- Ensuring all content is in line with Bridge 5 Mill and Fairfield Environment Trust policies (including; FET aims and objectives and Bridge 5 Mill equalities and sustainable procurement policies).
- Distributing publicity, posters and flyers for Bridge 5 Mill, and organised or co-promoted events.
- Working with hire customers of Bridge 5 Mill, tenants, partner organisations and individuals to promote their events and projects across social media, and to support the aims and objectives of Bridge 5 Mill.
Kindling Trust Communications Role
To support the Board of Directors with the promotion of the Kindling Trust, its partners and the Kindling Farm’s Community Shares Campaign.
The following tasks being carried out in the next few months:
- Printing promotional materials (e.g. business cards, leaflets, T-Shirts, newsletter, the community shares prospectus and materials for our sister co-op Veg Box People).
- Getting our vans wrapped (Kindling, Veg Box People and Manchester Veg People).
- Organising stall materials and props including banners and pull ups.
- Editing existing video footage to create a series of shorts
- Improving the signage for our Woodbank Community Food Hub project
The role will also involve a number of regular tasks including:
- Co-ordinating the content for our E-news.
- Distributing the monthly E-news.
- Writing or co-ordinating content for our website, including a ‘Latest News’ once a fortnight.
- Promoting of our activities and events through social media.
Additionally this role will promote our Kindling Farm Community Shares Campaign, working with the Kindling team to:
- Organise a programme of talks to local groups, regional and national events etc. leading up to and during the campaign.
- Organise stalls at relevant events.
- Promote the campaign through social media (including the video shorts created).
General responsibilities of this post
- Reporting progress to the Fairfield Environment Trust’s Board of Trustees.
- Reflecting the Fairfield Group’s vision and principles, strategy and policies at all times.
- Be aware of and complying with all relevant policies and procedures.
- Fulfilling such other duties and assignments as may be required from time to time.
- Working with the Fairfield Group Finance Worker to manage the communications budget.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.