Our vision is for nature and people to thrive in a world inspired by ecology. The British Ecological Society is the oldest of its kind in the world, with over 6000 members worldwide, we publish six successful journals, an ecological book series and a quarterly membership magazine, the Niche.
We actively value the diversity and wide range of perspectives that people from different backgrounds bring to their work, to ecology and to our Society.
We are seeking an enthusiastic candidate with outstanding communication skills and an interest in further developing their career in publishing to join our publications team.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with relevant experience in academic publishing, who is looking for an interesting and varied role. Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Assistant Editor will take overall responsibility for the day-to-day running of one of our world-renowned journals but will also work closely with the rest of the publications team.
About the role
12-month maternity cover
This role offers an opportunity to be part of an experienced journals team. The successful candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent with the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders. They will have demonstrable experience of working in academic publishing and have a good eye for detail. A proven interest in scientific publishing is essential and a postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject would be an advantage. Experience using ScholarOne or a similar journals database is desirable.
Core duties will include:
- Managing a timely and fair peer review process for a successful international journal
- Dealing with enquiries from authors, reviewers and editors
- Maintaining accurate records of manuscript progress from submission to final acceptance or rejection
- Contributing ideas for journal development and improvements to processes to Managing Editor and Editors
- Providing regular reports to Editors and Managing Editor from ScholarOne on all aspects of manuscript processing
- Liaising with publisher’s production department to ensure publication runs smoothly
- Assisting in ongoing journal marketing and promotion via online campaigns, printed publicity and social media channels
- Updating journal web pages to highlight new journal content
- Developing and managing the journal blog in collaboration with the blog editor
- Attending the BES annual conference and any other external relevant meetings as required.
A full job description, person specification, competencies and more about the role click on the link.