British Exploring Society is a world class youth development charity with a unique heritage, founded on the belief that challenging experiences can define lives, empowering and equipping young people with the courage, integrity, skills, resilience and motivation to make the most of their future.
Who we are looking for
This role provides an excellent opportunity for an energetic, ambitious and flexible individual seeking to develop their fundraising skills, who wants the chance to make this post their own. You will be supporting a critical area of the charity by enabling our major donor administration, communications and development. You will also support our wider fundraising strategy.
You are a proactive and driven individual with excellent organisational abilities and attention to detail; you have accurate and engaging communication skills (written and verbal) and will be able to use your creativity to enhance our results and help us achieve our fundraising targets.
Alongside your professional skills, you will need to demonstrate empathy with the work of the charity and a commitment to its purpose and values. At British Exploring Society we travel economy and stay in hostels – but we work with a wide range of stakeholders who require high levels of polish, care and perfect discretion.
Key Accountabilities/ Duties
- Maintain and nurture relationships with current and prospective donors
- Steward supporters more broadly, including sending out high quality communication materials and information
- Deliver our major donor programme
- Plan and execute a small direct mailing programme, working alongside the Membership officer
- Prepare briefings and other information for external meetings and fundraising events
- Provide planning and delivery administration for dinners, philanthropy breakfasts, private receptions
- Undertake research to identify potential new donors within our stakeholder network
- Support delivery of fundraising reporting data as required
- Prepare reports for the Head of Fundraising sand CEO on progress towards agreed fundraising objectives as required
- Ensure that all activities undertaken meet Charity Commission requirements and are compliant with with relevant legislation
- Maintain excellent record keeping , updating our new CRM system with donation and supporter information
- Communicate with supporters and funders in a timely fashion
- Respond to ad hoc supporter queries
The post holder will also
- Contribute to achieving the objectives of British Exploring Society
- Represent the charity at external events in a professional manner
- Adhere to the charity’s policies, procedures and working
- Ensure all records are held in compliance with the Data Protection Act, GDPR, the Institute of Fundraising and British Exploring Society’s policies
- Have effective IT skills across a wide range of common applications including Excel, Google and Word
- Following a full induction, participate in the team rota as a Duty Officer during periods when the Society is running 24 hour support service for our expeditions;
- Undertake additional ad-hoc tasks as required
What happens next?
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 sides of A4 explaining your suitability for the role. Due to remote working conditions, there is currently a delay in receiving postal applications so would request that all applications are submitted digitally.
In your application please let us know if you have any accessibility requirements, or if you need us to make any adjustments to the interview process.
Interviews will take place using Zoom web conferencing in week commencing 20th July.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.