British Exploring Society (BES) is a world class youth development charity with a unique heritage, founded on the belief that challenging experiences can define lives, empowering and equipping young people with the courage, integrity, skills, resilience and motivation to make the most of their future.
We prepare young people for expeditions to remote locations where they face challenges, acquire outdoor skills and learn about themselves. More than this, through their adventure together, our young people forge friendships for life and become part of a unique supportive and continuing community of Explorers with shared experiences, values and perspectives on the world. These are our Members.
Our Members are central to everything we are and do, and we have made a commitment to work more effectively with and on behalf of our community of Members. To help develop and deliver our membership strategy and support our Members at all times, we need an enthusiastic individual to join our team. Within the last year we have launched The Campfire, a new, online Membership magazine, as well as a 12-month new Member communication journey. We have exciting plans, including working more closely with our Members to ensure that their voices help drive and shape the future of the organisation to which they are so central.
More about the role
We are looking for a candidate who has a sound understanding and proven track record of supporting a community / delivering membership and / or retention communication as well as the ability to communicate well with a wide range of individuals with ease. An understanding of regular giving is also desirable.
- Manage Member enquiries through the membership inbox, telephone calls, mail and visits to the office.
- Liaise closely with the recruitment and expeditions team to ensure a joined-up Explorer / Member journey with us and as many opportunities for active engagement with Members as possible.
- Plan, implement and deliver successful Member communications working with Engagement, Marketing and Fundraising stakeholders.
- Deliver 12-month new Member engagement communications.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders and Members to produce and distribute our quarterly online Member Magazine, The Campfire, to target and on time.
Fundraising and Finance
- Work with the Head of Development and Accounts team to implement processes for Direct Debit and Gift Aid Claims.
- Plan and implement regular giving communications and collections from Members.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of working in membership, managing a defined interest community or network or supporting regular giving.
- Ability to identify the interests and motivations of stakeholder groups and tailor communications accordingly, ideally you will have some communications experience too.
- Excellent and adaptable written and oral communication skills.
- Experiencing of managing Direct Debit and Gift Aid administration and their legal frameworks.
What happens next?
Please send your CV and cover letter of no more than 2 sides of A4 clearly explaining your suitability for the role against this role description to: Kate Suart, British Exploring Society, 1 Kensington Gore, London SW7 2AR or email Kate.
In your application please let us know if you have an accessibility requirement, or if you need us to make any adjustments to the interview process. Thank you.
British Exploring Society is committed to equal opportunity and to building an executive and volunteer team that together represent a diverse variety of backgrounds, skills and perspectives on the world. The more inclusive we are, the better we think we’ll be at delivering our charitable aims.