Leeds, West Yorkshire
Manchester, Greater Manchester
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
York, York
£28,500 - £31,000 per year
Permanent, Full-time
Job description

The opportunity

The British Heart Foundation organisational strategy theme of ‘Striving for Excellence’ combined with our People Experience aim of ‘Let’s make a safe, healthy and inclusive workforce’ underpins the aims and objectives of the Wellbeing, Safety and Resilience team. Our aim is to make sure work activities and environments are safe, promoting individual wellbeing so that our people feel enabled to support the fight against cardiovascular disease.

About the role

The role of Health and Safety Adviser will provide support to teams across the business. Playing a key role in the successful implementation of our safety management systems in our Retail division offices and other directorates. 80% of this role will be to build and maintain relationships with a range of levels of management within our Retail division and their supporting functions, with the remaining 20% with other directorates. 

You will play a key role to embed the safety management systems with all our teams and assisting with policy development and communication. You'll support the H&S manager(s) to develop regular reports based on data and insight to improve the safety and wellbeing culture across the organisation. You will also be responsible for developing and monitoring standards through H&S inspections and audits within directorate premises to provide assurance on compliance with legislation and BHF policy.

About you

With previous H&S experience within a a large complex and geographically dispersed organisation you’ll hold both the NEBOSH General Certificate & Tech IOSH Membership Status. 

You’ll have experience of actively working within the Retail sector (ideally multiple sites) and knowledge and some experience in the development and delivery of health and safety management systems or wellbeing programmes. You'll also have previous experience in supporting volunteering activities as well as mass participation fundraising events.

With comprehensive knowledge of H&S legislation and best practice as applied to third sector/charities, office premises/retail, you’ll be able to influence and instruct BHF colleagues to improve awareness and compliance on H&S standards and have confidence to challenge others on current practice where required.

Please note that this position is home-based with frequent travel in the northern region to various sites, including regular travel to our eBay offices in Leeds. There will also be a requirement to support with fundraising events which may occasionally require working on a weekend.

About us

Every single one of us is vulnerable to the heartbreak caused by heart and circulatory diseases – they are the world’s biggest killers. But the research we fund represents hope. And nothing matters more than finding cures and treatments that give us more time with the people we love.

Here at the BHF we understand that you might need a little help balancing your work and home life. Many of our people work flexibly in many different ways. Please feel free to talk to us about the flexibility you may need; we’re happy to explore what’s possible for you and the role.

Interview process

The interview process will be held over MS Teams.

More about British Heart Foundation
British Heart Foundation

Help beat heartbreak for everyone

At the British Heart Foundation, there’s one thing that motivates all of us,... Read more

Refreshed on: 17 May 2021
Closed date: 23 May 2021
Tags: Retail, Operations

The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.