Emergency Response Officer
Location: Cambridge (covers Cambridgeshire and Suffolk)
Contract type: Permanent
Hours per week: 35 (Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm)
Salary: GBP 19,276 - GBP 20,722 per annum depending on experience
About the role
We have a fantastic new opportunity for an Emergency Response Officer to join our team where you will coordinate the Emergency Response Volunteers within the area.
You will deliver a wide range of activities within the area, including responding to major incidents, fires and floods. You will work as part of the emergency response team to further develop the British Red Cross emergency planning role, to engage with external organisations and support our volunteers to build local resilience to emergencies.
The post requires being part of a regular 24-hour duty officer on-call rota and potential emergency response duties at any time throughout the year.
About the person
- Driving licence and access to own vehicle are essential for this role
- With experience of building and maintaining effective working relationships both internally and externally, candidates should also have:
- Experience of delivering high quality services to the public
- Experience of creating and monitoring budgets and data
- Experience of developing or working in multi-sector partnerships at a tactical and/or operational level
- Experience of dealing with complex situations and tasks
- Strong IT proficiency; experience of using email, word processing and spreadsheet packages
- Ability to contribute to the development of operating plans
- Knowledge of Health and Safety practices
- Knowledge of legislation relevant to emergency response and planning
- An understanding of how to improve service quality
- The Ability to collate and interpret a range of management information including statistical information and user feedback
Closing date for applications is the 30th of July 2019. Interviews will be held on the 6th of August.
Should you have any questions on this role please email us at or call us on 0300 004 0554 quoting reference REQ0000026BY.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, these include:
* 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
* Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
* Up to 6% contributory pension
* Flexible working policy
A little bit more about us...
The British Red Cross help anyone, anywhere in the UK; get the support they need if crisis strikes. From hiring a wheelchair or dealing with loneliness, to adjusting to life in a new country - we're there when you need us.
Our organisation was born out of a desire to bring help without discrimination.
Impartiality and neutrality have been central values for the Red Cross since we started.
At the British Red Cross, we are looking for the best people to help us provide support to millions of people affected by crisis in the UK. We want our team to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, offering equal opportunities to everyone, regardless of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Diversity is something we celebrate and we want you to be able to bring your authentic-self to the Red Cross. We want you to feel that you are in an inclusive environment, and a great position to help us spread the power of kindness.
In the British Red Cross we will not tolerate any form of misconduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. We have a code of conduct in place, and are committed to creating a culture of integrity in the organisation where misconduct is not tolerated, situations of abuse are quickly investigated and perpetrators are dealt with effectively.
If you are appointed to a role within BRC you will be subject to the organisation's Code of Conduct, a copy of which you can find on our website.
As part of its recruitment and selection process the British Red Cross undertakes DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checking of all individuals who regularly work with or have access to children and vulnerable adults.
If driving is an essential requirement of the role, appropriate driver checks will be completed in line with current policy.
The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
Follow us on Twitter @RedCrossJobsUK and on LinkedIn - British Red Cross, to hear about our latest job vacancies.
Connecting human kindness with human crisis