Support at Home Volunteer
Location: Newtown, Powys
About the Team
Sometimes a little help can go a long way.
The Independent Living (IL) & Crisis Response (CR) service (IL/CR) are dedicated to making the lives of vulnerable people that little bit better. We're a small team dotted all over the country that share the same goal - to help those that need it most.
From picking up groceries to helping out around the house, we're there to make a difference. There's nothing better than knowing the time we spent with someone made them feel safer, happier, and more able to deal with crisis.
About the person
We keep the beneficiary at the heart of what we do, working to understand their needs and the difference we make. You need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills and full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements. Also:
- Sensitivity when working with people vulnerable to crisis and an interest in their well-being
- An ability to provide patient, positive encouragement with the aim of helping people to help themselves
- An understanding of the differing physical needs of service users
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team
- Willingness to attend volunteer induction and appropriate training for the role
- This role requires a DBS/PVG check to the appropriate level
- Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhering to the Society's Equal Opportunities Policy
Tasks Included in this Role:
- Visiting the service user on their arrival home from hospital.
- Keeping someone company for a few hours at a time.
- Helping with practical tasks like shopping, collecting prescriptions and light meal preparation.
- Sitting with the service user and relieving the relative or carer of continuous care.
- Keeping paper records of contact and activities undertaken with the service user.
What We Offer:
- The chance to work with a variety of different people from different walks of life and make a real difference to their lives.
- Recognition of the skills and experience you bring to the organisation with additional training given as required, so you can represent the Red Cross with confidence.
- A great opportunity to develop your existing skills and to gain new ones.
- The company of a warm and friendly team of like-minded people.
- Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses when on duty.
- Being a volunteer for the British Red Cross means that you can proudly say you are part of the world's largest humanitarian organisation.
You may be required to undertake additional learning modules dependant on contract requirements or the scope of the project.
Here's a little bit more about us...
The British Red Cross help anyone, anywhere in the UK; get the support they need if crisis strikes.
From hiring a wheelchair or dealing with loneliness, to adjusting to life in a new country - we're there when you need us. Our goal is to connect human kindness with human crisis.
We're part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and we believe in the power of kindness.
Our organisation was born out of a desire to bring help without discrimination. Impartiality and neutrality have been central values for the Red Cross since we started.
Young People and This Role
We value the energy and enthusiasm that young people bring to this role. Anyone can volunteer with the Red Cross from the age of 15. An individual risk assessment, parental consent and safeguarding considerations will be required from those aged 15 - 17. Volunteers will need to be at least 18 to visit service users on their own but those aged 15 - 17 can be involved in a variety of activities such as promoting the service, supporting service volunteers, providing administrative support and undertaking training, if appropriate.
We value the skills and experience that people bring to the organisation. We will work with you to look at your knowledge and skills and help make an assessment about which elements of the learning for your role you will need to complete with us and recognise where you may already know all that you need to confidently and safely carry out your duties. We want to try and make sure that you get all the training you need, no more and no less.
Connecting human kindness with human crisis.