Are you an experienced driver with the desire to help people in your local community?
If so, our Ambulance Support - Transporting People Volunteer could be the ideal opportunity for you. You will be using your skills and expertise to help the Red Cross carry out essential tasks in one of the most critical areas of the business, providing much needed support during the current pandemic.
Suitable candidates will have experience driving larger vehicles and we would welcome anyone with previous Midas or ambulance driving experience. You will be expected to complete a short volunteer interview.
As part of this role you will be asked to complete a DVLA check and in order to drive a Red Cross vehicle you must:
- Have a clean driving licence with less than 6 points. * Have a minimum of 12 months driving. * Agree to and sign the BRC driving policy.
After you've applied for this role you will be asked to share with us information about your driving licence as due to the nature of the role we will need to check things like penalty points and the type of vehicles you're permitted to drive. If your licence was issued in England, Wales or Scotland please conduct, download and upload the licence report from the . You can watch a video about how to do this If not issued in these countries you will need to upload a photo of your licence (both paper and card for Northern Ireland).
As part of our response to COVID-19 you will be helping to transport people safely to vital locations, for example transporting people to and from hospital to help support during this crisis. Due to infection control this will be conducted in either a British Red Cross or a leased vehicle.
Your warm, caring nature and positive attitude will bring comfort to patients. You'll be sensitive when working with vulnerable people and have no trouble going the extra mile to make them feel comfortable, safe and cared for.
You will have an understanding and awareness of the differing physical needs of our service users and a genuine interest in their well-being.
You will be provided with guidance and training on how to conduct this role safely
Appropriate personal protection equipment will be provided
What you will be doing
- Transporting people in a BRC vehicle
- Checking the welfare of the person and that they have essential supplies
- Referring the person to other support available if required
- The driver will act as support and a co-worker to the attendant, and undertake moving and assisting people activities.
The skills you need
- A valid police check or willingness to undertake one
- A valid driving licence
- Sensitivity when working with vulnerable people and an interest in their well-being
- An understanding of the differing physical needs of service users
What's in it for you
- The opportunity to support those in need during this crisis
Please note as this role is community based and involves contact with people those at risk from COVID-19 cannot volunteer for this role. This applies if you are over 70 years old you have underlying health conditions you are a pregnant woman you are an individual who is normally advised to have a flu jab If any of the above applies to you please apply for a role which you can do from your home