Health Data Research UK is the national institute for health data science and is on the frontline of supporting and delivering healthcare research programmes.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to provide legal leadership for this growing national institute in the rapidly evolving field of health data research. The Head of Legal will be responsible for providing in-house legal expertise and advising on external relationships with partner organisations.
Responsibilities include (though are not limited to) the following:
• Leading and supporting others with legal guidance for negotiations to enable HDR UK to achieve sustainable partnerships that are aligned with and enable HDR UK’s mission and strategy.
• Leading the development of HDR UK’s data governance strategy, in partnership with the Health Data Research Innovation Gateway team.
• Managing the relationship with HDR UK’s legal advisors. This would include ensuring that HDR UK is maximizing value for money from any external legal advice.
• Providing legal advice and guidance to the HDR UK Board and Executive Committee, including for internal organisational matters.
• Review HDR UK strategic opportunities and projects to ensure they conform with a consistent intellectual property, data governance and legal approach
•Provide adhoc specialist input to projects.
You will be a qualified solicitor with experience in preparation, negotiation and implementation of multi-organisational commercial agreements. You will inform Executive Directors and Board level individuals on appropriate legal and governance strategy and be comfortable operating with stakeholders at this level. You will also ideally have experience in managing data privacy risks. As sole legal counsel you will be comfortable operating autonomously.
The role is offered on a part-time basis (0.6 FTE). Applications are being managed by Holly Arrowsmith at Broster Buchanan on behalf of Health Data Research UK.