Post Title: Counselling Team Leader
Reports to: Talking Therapies: Operational Manager
Salary: £28,000 per annum FTE (£17,027 actual per annum)
Location: Aylesbury or High Wycombe or remote (needs flexibility)
Hours of Work: 22.5 hours a week (Days and times to be agreed)
ABOUT BUCKINGHAMSHIRE MIND
Buckinghamshire Mind shares National Mind’s vision: “We won’t give up until everyone experiencing a mental health problem gets both support and respect.” It remains our charity’s mission to deliver high quality community-based services across Buckinghamshire and East Berkshire to reach out and ensure everyone with a mental health problem gets access to the help they need.
Our charity has over 500 volunteers (including 400 peer ambassadors/mentors in schools and over 100 in befriending partnerships). These dedicated individuals support our passionate staff team alongside an active service user council, who all ensure our services are tailored to need and are of the highest quality. Further information can be found at:
Purpose of the Role
The counselling Team Lead will be responsible for the launching, promoting and efficient delivery of our all-new high quality ‘Enhanced Counselling Service’ and our renewed Employment Assistance Programmes (EAP) programmes Buckinghamshire wide. The successful candidate will have an income generation target for this work.
In addition, they will provide support to the Talking Therapies Operational Manager to reimagine, launch and ultimately grow Buckinghamshire Minds trusted community-based, high-quality talking therapies and build on our reputation and offer as a centre of excellence in volunteer counsellor development and training.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is a fully qualified counsellor, a person with positive can-do attitude with the ability to manage projects and deliver excellent quality work across a range of responsibilities.
Tasks will vary from week-to-week depending on priorities, but regular tasks will include:
- Promote and raise awareness of all of our talking therapies services by working closely with our comms team; ensure all offers are regularly plugged and advertised.
- Support the Talking Therapies: Operational Manager in managing relationships with key funders, contractors and stakeholders.
- Pro-actively develop relationships with external stakeholders in order to develop the service provisions for clients who wish to purchase either our Enhanced Counselling offer or our EAP offers.
Volunteer recruitment development and management
- Manage mentoring relationships with existing volunteers.
- Respond to the enquiries from any new/potential volunteer counsellors.
- Manage recruitment processes, using safer recruitment processes including DBS checks and references; always aiming to source new volunteers that are motivated and proud to gain a placement at Bucks Mind.
- Actively encourage all volunteers to be involved in the events and sessions in our annual volunteer development calendar to keep their CPD up to date.
- Create new CPD opportunities such as: ‘how to run your own private practice - once you have qualified’ teaching volunteers how to negotiate payment and put a value on their own value their own time, skills and experience,
- Train volunteer counsellors to do assessments and sign off as competent.
- Issue and review contracts with active volunteers.
- Deliver and lead by example; inspiring and motivating the volunteers we recruit.
- Deliver all aspects of the EAP offer. Including professional engagement process that offers flexible, timely, prompt assessments and sessions (successful candidate should be able to work creativity and ‘lunch time’ sessions or ‘evening’ sessions should be catered for wherever possible).
- Caseload for EAP expected to grow to 3-4 clients per week at our commercial rate.
- Deliver all aspects of the Enhanced Counselling offering all models of delivery such as face to face, telephone or online; creatively as outlined above. As with the EAP offer- flexibility will be key- the offer will be timely and prompt assessments and sessions arranged professionally.
- Caseload for Enhanced Counselling expected to grow to 4-5 clients per week at our commercial rate.
- Target client case load at the end of year one, 12-15 per week.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Project manage the Enhanced and EAP Counselling services delivery against KPI targets including an annual income generation target.
- Ensure that all the services (including the volunteer training and support) are client and volunteer led to inform continuous improvement.
- Monitor, evaluate and develop our EAP and Enhanced Counselling services to maximise impact and reach.
- Produce statistical and evaluative reports against planned outcomes (for Counselling and volunteer development offers) for the Talking Therapies: Operational Manager and the Senior Management Team and Board of Trustees as required.
- To carry out all administrative tasks associated with the service which includes report writing and keeping accurate, up-to-date records and confidential records.
and data, as necessary.
- Attend regular meetings with the Talking Therapies Operational Manager to assess service progress and agree future developments.
- Attend both internal & external meetings as agreed with the Talking Therapies: Operational Manager.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably required for the success of the role.
- To keep up to date with research and developments regarding mental health and wellbeing and/or have a bearing on the work of Buckinghamshire Minds’ Talking Therapies services.
- Provide support, and on occasions deputise for, the Talking Therapies Operations Manager
- To provide administration support as and when needed to the Talking Therapies: Operational Manager and to work as a part of the counselling Team to help, support and promote the services.
Candidates are required to meet all the essential conditions and requirements listed (E) and the majority of the desired requirements (D). Please refer to these requirements in your supporting statement as they will be used to help select candidates for interview.
- Supports the aims and work of Buckinghamshire Mind (E)
- Maintains strict confidentiality concerning all Buckinghamshire Mind matters (E)
Qualifications and experience
- Qualified counsellor with at least 4 year diploma. Registered with BACP, CPCAB, UKCP. (E)
- Accredited BACP or working toward accreditation.(E)
- Minimum 2 years experience of working as a counsellor with some experience of team lead (E)
- Minimum 2 years of Experience of doing client assessment (E)
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Is committed to working in an anti-oppressive way and striving to create equal opportunities for all people (E)
- Maintains confidentiality in line with Buckinghamshire Mind policy (E)
- Has knowledge of social and situational factors influencing people’s mental health and wellbeing (E)
- Has excellent communication skills, especially with people who experience/have experienced mental health issues (E)
- Is able to network and build sustainable working partnerships with other agencies (E)
- Is able to organize own workload and work without direct supervision (E)
- Is able to devise, implement, monitor and evaluate project work and produce reports (E)
- Is able to keep written records and data (E)
- Access to own vehicle for work purposes with appropriate license and insurance.Understanding of equality and diversity principles (E)
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and 2 wellbeing days pro rata
- Training and development opportunities
- Sodexo employee benefits - access to a portal with discounts on supermarket shops, holidays, high-street shops, days out, cinema and gym membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme – free professional confidential counselling
- Childcare vouchers
- Annual leave purchase scheme
- Flu vaccinations
- Free eye tests
- Pension: Auto Enrolment (currently 3% employee contribution, 3% employer contribution
Applications: Please send –
CV and Supporting Statement. Your Supporting Statement should explain how your skills and experience meet each of the requirements detailed in the Person Specification.
The short-listing panel make their decisions based on this information and no assumptions about your skills or experience will be made.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, therefore please apply as soon as possible.
Buckinghamshire Mind is an Equal Opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. Any offer made relating to this post will be subject to satisfactory references and a satisfactory enhanced DBS check.