Background to the LifeSkills programme
Business in the Community Scotland (BITC) is the charity partner to Barclays LifeSkills in Scotland, delivering its LifeSkills Programme to target secondary schools and colleges. This role will involve working with target secondary schools and colleges in Glasgow, with some additional bespoke support for three Kilmarnock based secondaries and the Kilmarnock campus of Ayrshire college. Target educational institutions schools and colleges in Glasgow and Kilmarnock will be within a c.25-mile radius of Buchanan Wharf, where the new Northern European hub of Barclays will be housed.
The motivation behind the LifeSkills programme is to inspire millions of young people and equip them with the key skills to move forward into the 21st century workplace.
The programme focuses on teaching skills such as CV writing, interview skills, networking, problem solving, creativity, resilience, communication and managing online reputation.
Purpose of Job
This role will support educators and young people in making the most of free LifeSkills curriculum-linked employability resources such as lesson plans, videos and interactive tools, as well as delivering a series of workshops in target secondary schools and colleges, supported wherever possible by Barclays staff volunteers.
The role will manage full programme delivery including targets in relation to select schools and colleges around Glasgow and in Kilmarnock. This will involve a mix of relationship building with Barclays key programme personnel, in class volunteers and those who become mentors. It will also involve developing and maintaining relationships with key educational personnel in an agreed number of target schools/colleges as well as a specified number of class-based students.
The programme manager/facilitator will agree a delivery plan with each participating school/college. This delivery plan will include the programme manager/facilitator delivering a series of four interventions over a 1 - 2 year period at each school/college, as well as supporting educators there to enhance learning by helping them select from pre-prepared LifeSkills workshop ‘bundles’ for the teacher to deliver in class. While agreeing the delivery plan, advice will also be offered on student self-study, using the online resources including age specific interactive workshops, quizzes, games, videos and online toolkits.
Main Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Presentation and Facilitation (50%)
• Using the ready-made online resources, prepare for and facilitate LifeSkills workshops, ensuring that performance leads to improvement in agreed key indicators for students.
• Support Barclays volunteers to prepare for in-class delivery support, plus providing coaching and support on the day. Introduce and support Barclays mentors engaged in the Kilmarnock delivery.
Programme and Relationship Management (30%)
• Understand the contract deliverables and create a deployment plan to deliver key performance indicators including targeting, identification and meetings with school/college key personnel, engagement with target number of schools and students engaged over three years, teacher CPD, plus student, educator and volunteer evaluation.
• Act as a broker between target schools, colleges and Barclays’ volunteers, including Developing Young Workforce /employability or Personal and Social Education leads. You will prioritise those schools/colleges in greatest need and agree delivery plans which combine interventions by the LifeSkills Programme Manager/Facilitator, teacher delivery and student self-study.
• Develop a thorough understanding of LifeSkills programme, online resources and workshop content to inform discussions and agreement to delivery plans with target schools/colleges, including in-school presentations where necessary and support for teacher CPD
• Adapt the programme to online delivery to meet Covid19 requirements
• Lead on visits to schools/colleges by Barclays key personnel, including support and facilitation at events to which the media may be invited, should that be necessary.
• Supported by BITC colleagues, develop a communications plan which fulfils the needs of the contract including engagement with target schools/colleges
• Supported by your line manager, manage and support the partnership between Barclays and BITC Scotland, including participation on monthly calls with key Barclays personnel.
• Ensure sharing of best practice and collaboration within and across BITC’s programme managers/facilitators in Wales and Northern Ireland
• Maintain a working knowledge of, and be able to speak with confidence about, key issues in education and workplace skills development, to operate credibly with schools/colleges and Barclays personnel .e.g. ‘Developing Young Workforce’ and ‘Curriculum for Excellence’.
• Facilitate and respond to the needs and feedback of programme research and evaluation
Management and Reporting (20%)
Supported by the LifeSkills coordinator:
• Establish and maintain systems for timely and accurate monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the effectiveness of the LifeSkills programme in line with contract requirements.
• Ensure volunteering opportunities are advertised to Barclays workforce using appropriate internal channels to agreed timelines, ensuring high levels of volunteer participation
• Devise systems for planning and monitoring of contract delivery, including up to date records of delivery plans for each institution and relationship management.
• Manage marketing and communications requirements of the contract including agreed use of Twitter.
• Ensure compliance with all safeguarding requirements of the contract, including adherence to Barclays policy in relation to workshop photography/filming.
© Business in the Community 2020
• Responsibility for ensuring a safe environment, in line with the responsibilities outlined in BITC’s Safeguarding Policy and Framework, ensuring that risks are identified, communicated and managed in line with BITC’s process, and concerns raised are responded to within 24 hours and reported appropriately.
• Lead, inspire and motivate LifeSkills coordinator to achieve results in collaboration with their line manager, fulfilling performance management requirements including support for personal development.
• Ensure that work and behaviour of teams are in line with our vision and values. Contribute to the overall effective management of the organisation, delivering optimal performance in relation to operational standards, financial budget, customer service and people management.
• Ensure that health and safety and safeguarding requirements are met in the areas for which the jobholder is responsible.
Disclosure Scotland requirement
Our offer of employment for this role is conditional and subject to a satisfactory outcome of an enhanced disclosure from Disclosure Scotland. Should the disclosure not meet the required clearance, Business in the Community reserves the right to withdraw the offer of employment.
The post holder may be required to carry out other duties that are reasonably to be considered as within the scope and purpose of the job and the aptitudes of the post holder.
This job description reflects the current requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop due to changes in organisational and other circumstances, so the actual duties and responsibilities will vary from the particulars of this job description.
Special working conditions and homeworking
Although this role will be home based, a requirement of the role will require occasionally travel to our office in Edinburgh for team meetings and project meetings with the LifeSkills Coordinator/line manager.
There may be limited occasions where attendance at evening or early morning events may be necessary e.g. parent’s event at a school, therefore it is a requirement of the role that the applicant has access to their own mode of transport.
The homeworker has responsibility to ensure that they have the correct working environment at home, which means access to wifi/internet, a printer and a suitable desk and chair. By applying for a home-based role, you do so on the understanding that BITC are unable to provide your home with additional equipment.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.