WHO WE ARE:
BLP aims to transform young lives through enterprise and supporting them gain enterprise and leadership skills. Young people are at the heart of what we do. We offer complete and personalised business guidance and support to in need young entrepreneurs from across London, aged 16 to 30 through workshops and 1:1 business coaching. We work in partnership with young people to enable them to start their own business or move into employment or/and education and training. We aim to develop approaches that empower, support and encourage young people to build confidence and follow their aspirations and fulfil their potential.
BLP owns Trident Business Centre, soon to be rebranded to Tooting Works which is 46, 000 sq/ft and provides affordable office spaces, as well as co-working spaces. We are a social enterprise with 100% of our profits funding the charitable work of Business Launchpad (BLP). Tooting Community Projects (TCP) is 'powered by' TBC, as the vehicle to make sure TBC becomes a Community Asset. We are using the resources of the business centre (car park, kitchens and meeting rooms) to provide the local community with safe, sanitised and secure spaces to distribute food and essential items to vulnerable groups in Tooting, South West London during COVID19. In the long-term TCP will create other exciting initiatives, in direct response to local community need. This will include support for young people aged 16-30 who will be heavily impacted by the current crisis. A new development grant from Wandsworth Council is enabling the expansion of our current space at Tooting Works to include a new 40 seat co-working space (youth and tech focused), enterprise kitchen and multi-purpose events space.
This new development is a cross company project which will engage new Tooting Works and Business Launchpad customers/clients, and serve as a space that our community can access and engage with.
The Project Manager will be responsible for successfully managing the oversight and delivery of a capital build project at Tooting Works that will create new jobs and affordable workspaces in South London. We are at an exciting stage with the rebrand to expand and grow the centre to ensure that the community are at the heart. This role will be pivotal in working with the CEO to ensure that site development is delivered to schedule and causes minimal disruption to existing tenants.
Within this role, this person will have main responsibility in liaising with architects, builders and funders to support to build a co-working space that will support to 40 people (especially youth and tech focussed), a kitchen and an event space. This role will ensure that the build goes to plan, budget, is risk assessed and health and safety rules and any rules due to COVID-19 (ie social distancing) are adhered too. The role is also very hands on, as you’ll be involved in assembling the furniture in the new space.
The role will also work closely with the Community Manager, to ensure that the plan for construction, are communicated to the tenants and community and where applicable that the community are brought in to help shape and input the design of the spaces.
This post would suit someone who is has some prior experience with capital build projects and managing projects, who is passionate about creating meaningful communities and is a skilful negotiator. The ideal candidate is someone who is organised, a clear communicator, who is able to manage different responsibilities and cares about how spaces can impact the community it serves. They will have a proven track record of being working on capital projects and understanding of process and protocols for building work.
You can find out more by visiting our website and by scanning through our social media channels:
• Twitter - @BusinessLP @tooting_works
• Instagram – @businesslaunchpad @tootingworks
• LinkedIn – @businesslaunchpad @tootingworks
• Facebook – @businesslaunchpad @tootingworkssw17
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Liaise with architects and builders to ensure build is delivered to time, plan and budget.
- Get quotes from builders and electricians
- Contract builders and electricians
- Manage building and contractors
- Work with Site Manager to ensure that all building work meets health and safety requirements and planning permission
- Seek and apply for planning permission for second phase of build work
- Create a schedule with builders to ensure that work is delivered and meets funding outcomes.
- Regularly report progress of build to the CEO and Deputy CEO
- Ensure build is completed to high specification with all necessary paperwork
- Manage budget for build
- Assemble furniture as required
Community and Tenant liaison:
- Work with the community manager Ensure that the design of the space reflects the needs of the community and how they will use the space.
- Where possible and applicable to see if we can procure services from those at Tooting Works or close by.
- Communicate with community manager to ensure all tenants and staff know the schedule of delivery and planning and can be kept informed additionally to minimise disturbances to existing tenants.
The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and therefore the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
BLP is proud of its principles of valuing everyone and never discriminating. To apply for this role upload your CV and a supporting statement by the closing date.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.