How to apply
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.
Starting Salary: £34,315 - £35,763 p.a.
Are you a talented writer? Are you passionate about telling stories that will bring about change in the world? We are looking for an experienced copywriter and interviewer who can gather compelling emotive stories and turn them into persuasive communications on multiple channels. You will tell stories that support our new aspirational proposition that no one should be beyond reach of the love and care they need to thrive. You will be part of the creative content team, a small group of writers, designers, photographers, film-makers and planners committed to telling compelling stories that will inspire our new younger target audience and embolden our existing supporters. And you will work closely with colleagues in the communications group including media, PR and digital as well as international teams, fundraising, campaigns and education. Working alongside photographers and filmmakers, you will gather emotive content overseas and in the UK that amplifies our brand story. Working with designers, you will create compelling concepts and propositions for fundraising appeals, and produce copy for parishes, direct mail and digital channels. Your writing will leap from the page. You will help people in any context feel at ease and able to tell their story. And you will know what makes a good fundraising story and be familiar with techniques and methods that inspire people to give.
We are looking for a creative and talented content writer, with a direct and pacey writing style who can gather emotive stories and turn them into compelling fundraising appeals.
The post holder will help deliver CAFOD’s organisational goals in line with our communications strategy through gathering emotive content from our projects overseas, developing creative concepts and writing persuasive and engaging copy for multiple fundraising and advocacy campaigns. You will also create written content to feedback to supporters about the impact of our work, using a range of outputs and channels working alongside photo, film, design, media and digital colleagues as well as stakeholders in fundraising, campaigns, education, theology and international programmes.
The post holder will work within the Communications Group as part of Creative Content Team.
The post holder will be line managed by the Head of Creative Content.
Key responsibilities by priority
Copy writing, creativity and brand adherence
Resource gathering, research and creativity:
Assisting with the delivery of supporter communication and brand promotion strategies:
This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Safeguarding for Children and Vulnerable Adults
CAFOD recognises the personal dignity and rights of children and vulnerable adults, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect. CAFOD, and all its staff and volunteers, undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children, young people and vulnerable adults and to prevent their physical, sexual or emotional abuse. CAFOD is committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children and vulnerable adults, seeing these interests as paramount. Any candidate offered a job with CAFOD will be expected to adhere to CAFOD’s Safeguarding policy and sign CAFOD’s Code of Behaviour as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. This post will have contact with children, young people and vulnerable adults and applicants will be subject to specific checks related to safeguarding issues. If based in the UK the post holder is required to present or obtain a Disclosure from the DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service). If the post is based outside the UK the post holder will be subject to a different checking process.
Understanding our context
- Understanding Catholic identity: Understanding of and ability to work with the Catholic community to further CAFOD’s mission. Understanding of the importance of Gospel values, Scripture and of Catholic social teaching to CAFOD’s mission.
-Understanding CAFOD: Ability to explain what is distinctive about CAFOD as a Catholic development agency
-Understanding International Development: Able to demonstrate an understanding of solidarity and human dignity in the way people are portrayed and recognise that there are complex challenges in development.
-Managing ourselves: Ability to recognise what needs to be done and take action to deal with it, particularly organising people and processes to achieve results
- Working with others: Ability to build positive and productive working relationships with all colleagues and facilitate collaborative relationships across CAFOD, with external partners and suppliers.
- Communicating: Ability to motivate and inspire others when presenting ideas and present complex issues simply and clearly
- Looking outwards: Ability to build cooperative, professional relationships with partners, supporters, suppliers and communities
Making change happen
- Managing resources: Ability to make careful plans to allocate, use and optimise resources to achieve the required results.
-Achieving results: Ability to recognise expertise and how to use it to achieve results and use judgement to make sound decisions and communicate and implement them.
- Ability to spot good fundraising and media stories that will provoke an emotional reaction and raise income based on audience research and data evaluations
- Proven experience of fundraising writing or persuasive copywriting, requiring little supervision or checking
- A high level of expertise in optimizing stories/content for all channels including social media
- Experience of interviewing, particularly vulnerable people, or in difficult environments
- Willingness to travel overseas for up to 4 weeks a year and ability to work in diverse and challenging conditions
- Experience developing concepts for campaigns and leading creative sessions
- Experience of managing projects with multiple stakeholders
-Experience of gathering visual content including photos and film or working with photographers/filmmakers
-Knowledge of writing techniques for search engine optimisation
Please click here for a full list of CAFOD’s Staff Benefits
Come and join us and help ensure that no one is beyond reach of the love and care they need to thrive. CAFOD is an equal opportunities employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults