HR Services Officer
Starting Salary: £29,758 - £31,252 pro rata
Contract: Up to 6 months, starting at 21 hours per week
As one of CAFOD’s HR Services Officers you will be working at the heart of the People team and playing a key role in delivering a quality day to day service to our employees. You will work as part of the HR Services Team to provide Recruitment, HR & Learning support. This will include managing recruitment campaigns, processing of staff payroll changes and providing advice to staff on benefits / entitlements policies and procedures, plus ad hoc project work.
You will have demonstrable UK HR experience, CIPD or equivalent. In addition, you will have current experience on recruitment and HR systems and ideally be familiar with SharePoint or other document management systems. The ideal candidate will be able to manage their own work, working collaboratively to a high professional standard.
You will focus on a named area/s of the organisation providing end to end UK HR services supporting other members of the team as directed by the HR Services Manager. The team provide global support for all CAFOD staff and managers; however, the range of services provided outside the UK is administered locally by HR focal points. HR Services Officers will develop good working relationships with the HR focal points, supporting them as necessary.
You will report to the HR Services Manager and work closely with team colleagues, you will also work closely with HR Advisers, the Payroll & Accounts Co-ordinator and the Learning & Development Co-ordinator.
- Recruitment coordination
Provide a seamless internal and external recruitment service:
- Work alongside line managers to collate required documentation, schedule and coordinate their recruitment providing advice as necessary (e.g. agreeing panel members and ensuring appropriate events are planned and diarised) including guidance on policy and best practice
- Create recruitment positions in our ATS and workspaces in SharePoint, supporting the manager through the whole life cycle, across all systems.
- Place recruitment adverts in accordance with CAFOD’s standards and budget
- Provide longlisting support where agreed and coordination of shortlisting and selection events including liaison with candidates and arranging any associated travel and accommodation
- Meet and greet candidates who attend for selection events, arranging payment of their expenses
- Ensure compliance with pre-employment checks (e.g. DBS/right to work/medical/references)
- Ensure offer process and correspondence is completed with HR systems updated appropriately
- Oversee new employees through Onboarding ensuring all policies and checks have been completed prior to start date and undertake 121 HR inductions with new starters
- Ensure all records of recruitments are maintained (e.g. interview notes, diversity information / pre-employment checks etc.)
- Respond to speculative enquiries
- Staff & post changes
Responsible for ensuring that HR data for staff and posts are up to date and accurate, specifically to:
- Input, edit and maintain staff changes on CAFOD’s HR systems.
- Participate in data checking / cleaning exercises that audit the HR Information, as directed by the HR Services Manager
- Support the annual salary and holiday review projects
- Ensure ongoing maintenance and improvements of HR filing systems (paper and electronic) ensuring continued compliance with Data Protection requirements. This will include the staff personnel files, HR document libraries and archiving.
- HR correspondence and communications
Ensure that HR communications and correspondence to staff are maintained. This will include:
- Working with Word template, offer letters, contracts of employment, joining material and other staff change letters for individual staff members
- Organising communications to the whole organisation, using SharePoint and Yammer, such as advising staff of job opportunities, employee wellbeing promotion and communicating changes to policies.
- Supporting maintenance of the HR SharePoint workspaces, including updating and formatting documents and other communications on the Intranet
- Facilitating workshops and briefings to staff and managers as appropriate and directed by the HR Services Manager.
- First line advice for staff and managers
Provide advice, guidance and support on HR policy, procedure and contracts, which may include:
- Answering queries from staff and managers on contractual entitlements and benefits
- Taking notes at formal hearings
- Deliver HR inductions, exit interviews, and parental leave meetings
- Referring more complex employee relations issues to the HR Advisers.
- Financial records
Responsible for arranging, obtaining authorisation, processing and maintain records of expenses incurred by HR. Ensuring appropriate reconciliation of costs against invoices and providing information on expenditure as required by the management team.
- Administrative coordination and project support for the Group
Provide support as required by the People management team for specific projects and pieces of work as well as ongoing activities such as arranging and taking minutes at team and departmental meetings. Tasks will be allocated by the HR Services Manager however ongoing support is required for current benefits:
- The Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance & Permanent Health Insurance schemes
- Salary sacrifice schemes
This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Safeguarding for Children and Vulnerable Adults
CAFOD recognises the personal dignity and rights of children and vulnerable adults, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect. CAFOD, and all its staff and volunteers, undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children, young people and vulnerable adults and to prevent their physical, sexual or emotional abuse. CAFOD is committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children and vulnerable adults, seeing these interests as paramount. Any candidate offered a job with CAFOD will be expected to adhere to CAFOD’s Safeguarding policy and sign CAFOD’s Code of Behaviour as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references, and appropriate screening checks can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. CAFOD also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of, and consent to, these recruitment procedures.
Person Specification /Essential Criteria
Understanding our context
- Understanding Catholic identity – An understanding of the Catholic Church. You recognise the intrinsic dignity of every person and respect other faiths and beliefs.
- Managing ourselves: Good attention to detail; ability to produce and maintain accurate, detailed records
- Working with others: Able to provide advice and guidance to internal stakeholders using a variety of communication methods, including informal discussion, meetings & briefing sessions
- Communicating: Able to build rapport and communicate effectively at all levels, taking into account cross cultural settings
Making change happen
- Managing resources: Possesses excellent administrative & organisational skills and makes effective use of ICT, particularly Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint, databases, document management systems (e.g. SharePoint), email and Internet.
- Achieving results: Able to manipulate data to produce management information
- Demonstrated interest and involvement in recruitment and setting up and coordinating complex events taking into account time differences and travel requirements
- Demonstrated understanding and application of HR policies and practices
III. Sound analytical and numerical skills; attention to detail and able to prepare and present information both written and statistical
- Written and spoken language skills (particularly French and/or Spanish)
- CIPD member or HR Qualification
Interview Date: Wednesday, 20th October 2021
Please click here for a full list of CAFOD’s Staff Benefits
Come and join us and help make a real difference in the lives of the world’s poorest communities. CAFOD is an equal opportunities employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.