Starting Salary: £29,174 - £30,639 pro-rata for 14 hours a week
Contract: 2 years fixed term contract
Are you a brilliant communicator with experience of working with celebrities or online influencers? Are you passionate about international development? Then this could be the job for you. You will support the Head of PR by identifying high-profile individuals who could help raise CAFOD’s profile. Working closely with colleagues in the education, media, digital and creative teams, you will implement a new strategy to engage celebrities and influencers in order to further our work with young people.
The PR Officer will assist CAFOD’s efforts to reach a wider audience of potential supporters by identifying, researching and approaching those already in the public eye - or emerging celebrities - who may be open to supporting our work publicly.
Through press releases, features, photo opportunities or events, the PR officer will secure mass market as well as specialist and social media coverage of CAFOD’s work. This role will focus on securing support for and promoting education campaigns aimed at 11-18 year olds.
The post holder works within the PR Unit as part of the Communications Group.
The post holder is line managed by the Head of PR and will work closely with colleagues in the Education Section
Assisting with the delivery of CAFOD’s Education PR strategy by:
- Identifying, researching and, with the Head of PR, approaching celebrities - already in the public eye or emerging - to support CAFOD’s work.
- Identifying online influencers who may be suitable to help raise awareness of CAFOD amongst the target audience.
- Drafting articles and quotes from celebrities in support of CAFOD advocacy and fundraising campaigns, key moments and resources.
- Supporting photo calls, video shoots, events and other activities with celebrities.
- Developing and delivering media and communications strategies aimed at reaching the key target audience as part of the wider PR strategy. This includes planning opportunities for coverage as well as responding to ad hoc opportunities and producing content for related Education resources.
- Maintaining and complying with media and celebrity database systems to ensure that all celebrity assets are stored and used correctly.
- Liaising with specialist youth and education press and generating coverage for CAFOD’s work with children and young people.
This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
Safeguarding for Children and Vulnerable Adults
CAFOD recognises the personal dignity and rights of children and vulnerable adults, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect. CAFOD, and all its staff and volunteers, undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children, young people and vulnerable adults and to prevent their physical, sexual or emotional abuse. CAFOD is committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children and vulnerable adults, seeing these interests as paramount. Any candidate offered a job with CAFOD will be expected to adhere to CAFOD’s Safeguarding policy and sign CAFOD’s Code of Behaviour as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Person Specification/Essential Criteria
Understanding our context
- Audience knowledge – understanding what is on trend and relevant to 11-18 year olds.
- Understanding CAFOD – understanding what is distinctive about CAFOD as a Catholic development agency.
- Understanding international development – able to demonstrate an understanding of solidarity and human dignity in the way we communicate.
- Managing ourselves– highly organised and thorough. A self-starter; willing to take responsibility for getting the work done.
- Communicating - an excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Working with others - ability to build collaborative relationships across CAFOD.
- Some experience of working with celebrities and/or online influencers.
- The ability to support implementation of effective PR strategies to achieve media coverage.
- Confidence in working with high-profile individuals and acting as a public representative of CAFOD
- Understanding Catholic identity and the nature of the Catholic community.
- Some experience of working in a press office.
- Experience of project management.
Come and join us and help make a real difference in the lives of the world’s poorest communities.
CAFOD is an equal opportunities employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.