One of the UK’s biggest charities, the Canal & River Trust looks after, and brings to life, 2,000 miles of waterways across England and Wales, because we believe that life is better by water. Every role across the Trust plays its part in transforming our canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better, bringing wellbeing benefits to millions every day.
We currently have opportunities for a Volunteering Team Leader within our dynamic and enthusiastic West Midlands operations team, based at Minerva Wharf (WV1 3LX) and covering the Walsall/Wolverhampton canal networks.
Volunteer Leaders plan and deliver a wide range of volunteer activities and events, assist operational teams in their task management of volunteering activities and liaise with volunteers, volunteer groups and supervisors.
It is a busy role, and whilst much of the past year has resulted in many of our activities and plans being paused, we have a full 2021 plan to deliver for the Trust through our volunteering efforts.
About the role
As Volunteering Leader you will report directly to the Area Operations Manager, and work closely with not only volunteers, but operational team colleagues across the wider West Midlands team as you plan, assist, deliver and manage successful volunteer activities and events in 2021 and beyond.
The restrictions and challenges that COVID-19 has brought within and outside of the Trust has had a significant impact on our programme of activities planned for the Region, however we now plan to pick up those activities that were paused, and deliver new programmes within our plan for 2021 with perhaps a new perspective on what we can deliver and how we can make it happen. 2021 will continue to challenge us as nationally we continue to work within ongoing restrictions, however it is important for the Trust to successfully thrive that we continue to work with our current and grow new volunteering relationships to have the positive impact we know we can.
- Management of volunteers in the delivery of works to ensure they are completed safely and to the correct quality, whilst maintaining volunteer satisfaction.
- Liaison with volunteers and volunteer groups to understand their current capabilities and aspirations, using this to plan appropriate works in conjunction with the programmes of work with the customer operations team.
- To understand the needs of the waterways, both operationally and strategically, giving a broad understanding of the types and volumes of work available, thus providing the background information needed to develop a programme of volunteer works.
- Co-ordination of staff, vehicles and equipment for the efficient delivery of volunteer works.
- Co-ordination of training for volunteers to maintain and improve skills levels necessary to carry out works on the waterway.
- Promotion of a strong safety culture to ensure all works are completed with safety as a priority thereby ensuring the wellbeing of staff, volunteers and customers.
- Displaying the Trust values and behaviours at all times.
- Ensuring that diversity and inclusion are integrated into all aspects of Trust life and promoting inclusion by challenging behaviour, practices, actions, or decisions that are counter to the objectives of the Trust’s policies and values.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- NVQ Level 3 or BTEC Level 3 in an appropriate subject or equivalent previous experience.
- Proven experience of working with and leading volunteers.
- Proven experience of delivering works to time, specification and budget.
- Some experience in customer service.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Some experience in line management is desirable but not essential.
- Full driving licence.
It is important that you really love to work with others and get things done through others to succeed in this role. Building and maintaining strong professional relationships is also important and an ability to adapt to diverse approaches and needs of those we work - colleagues and volunteers alike.
What We Offer
In addition to your salary we offer access to a generous contributory DC Pension Plan, and excellent annual holiday entitlement. More information on our benefits can be found via our 'apply' portal.
We aim to represent the diverse communities we are part of and welcome applicants from across all sectors of the community. We strongly believe that a diverse workforce brings with it a diversity of ideas, thinking and ways of working which enhances what we do. All candidates will be treated on the basis of their merits, skills and abilities and solely by being assessed against the requirements for the job. Many of our vacancies can be considered for people who wish to work flexibly, job share or part time.
Find out more about the work we do and opportunities we have on our website.