Head of Campaign and Engagement
Reports to: Head of Philanthropy Services
Salary: circa £65,000 (with flexibility commensurate with experience)
Location: Flexible (minimum of 3 days per week at Stratford)
Application Deadline: We will be reviewing applications as they come in, so please do apply as soon as possible. The role will be live until Sunday 21st February, but may close after this without notice.
Interview Date: Interviews are planned to be held from late February.
The Head of Campaign and Engagement is a senior member of the Philanthropy Directorate and the Philanthropy Services team responsible for all engagement functions for the Philanthropy programme and Campaign. The role will set the high-level engagement strategy for all prospects and donors to the comprehensive Campaign, with a focus on prospects capable of giving £100K+, and donors who give £1M+.
The Head will lead a team of 13 with six direct reports, hold accountability for team output and budget expenditure, and focus on driving the Campaign and engagement strategy. The Cancer Research UK Campaign will galvanise our high value prospect and donor community, drive Campaign-focused fundraising activity, and enable us to deliver results on a scale never seen before in the UK charity sector.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Leading the development of the Campaign and engagement strategy, scope and goals
- Positioning the campaign at the top of the organisation's agenda, working with senior internal partners to understand their role in the campaign's success.
- Managing the annual and multi-year engagement calendar of activity, identifying key campaign benchmarks, including the 2022 CRUK 20th anniversary, Campaign public launch, gift announcements and celebrations, etc.
- Developing and leading a strong donor relations programme ensuring every gift and donor is thanked for their support; receives an annual gift reporting that deepens the donor(s) involvement with CRUK/Crick/Cancer Grand Challenges (CGC) and demonstrates the impact of their gift.
- Leading a team of professionals to ensure high-quality administration, strategic coordination and management of campaign activities at all levels - individual meetings, small and large events, creative cultivation and stewardship events that are virtual and in person.
We are in the quiet phase of our targeted philanthropic campaign. As Head of Campaign & Engagement you will unite the organisation around high value fundraising, ultimately delivering increased funds for research which will be transformational for CRUK.
The team will work in close collaboration with Philanthropy frontline fundraisers, organisational and scientific leaders to develop the gift opportunities, campaign messaging, volunteer structures, individual, small and large scale events with institutional and volunteer leaders and stewardship programme for the Campaign, as well as develop best practices that will be sustained after the Campaign has concluded. You'll also partner with the CRUK CEO and leadership team, as well as scientists and philanthropy colleagues to develop and implement strategies for these campaigns.
Key Technical Skills, Knowledge, Experience and Behaviours
We're looking for a variety of skills and experience for the role, and we're excited to hear what you can offer. Some of the key things we're looking for are:
- Experience of leading a philanthropic campaign;
- Strategic mindset, extensive experience in strategy development and implementation;
- Track record of leading and developing high performing communications and engagement teams that design and deliver events and comms which engage, inspire and drive change
- Excellent stakeholder management, influencing skills and ability to work with, and communicate effectively and professionally with a wide range of individuals from internal colleagues, institutional leaders, and external collaborators, stakeholders and high value audiences
In addition, you'll be able to synthesize research information, lead on key Campaign priorities with the team and colleagues across the Philanthropy Directorate and demonstrate the intellectual curiosity to understand complex scientific areas of research. You'll then have the ability to transform this information into engaging, donor-friendly communication will be key.
If this sounds like you, please do take a look at the full candidate pack linked above, and submit an application.