Head of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Director, Cancer Grand Challenges
Location: Stratford, with flexible working options
Application method: CV and Cover Letter required
Application Deadline: We will be shortlisting through applications consistently, so please don't hesitate to apply
Interview Date: Interviews are planned to be held from mid-November, but as above, may take place sooner
Salary Range: £65,000 - £75,000 (flexibility for the right candidate dependent on experience)
Cancer Grand Challenges (CGC) is a new global cancer research initiative co-founded by Cancer Research UK (CRUK) and the US National Cancer Institute (NCI). We dare the very best to come together and think differently to solve the most complex cancer challenges. We're setting up a new Cancer Grand Challenges team is at CRUK to drive the initiative.
As the Head of Marketing and Communications you'll lead a small team and be responsible for driving the strategic development, delivery and evaluation of all aspects of the CGC brand, marketing, communications and PR strategy. It's a pivotal role that will give you the scope to help build a brand-new global initiative, whilst also having the security of an organisation like CRUK behind you.
In this role you'll build and drive the global reputation and profile of the initiative with its international audiences (researchers, donors, funders, industry, media, people affected by cancer, and the public) and inspire and engage them with the our purpose of making radical progress against cancer to benefit humankind.
In this role, you'll:
- Build and oversee the overarching CGC brand, marketing, communications and PR strategy ensuring the strategy reflects the global ambition and impact of the initiative, working collaboratively with leaders at CRUK and the NCI, and develop clear objectives to deliver the strategy and oversee their delivery and the on-going evaluation of progress;
- Own the CGC brand and ensure there is a clear and well understood brand proposition that stands out against the competition and that stays relevant; and develop a deep understanding of the competitive environment and recommend strategies for us to maintain a distinct and unique brand;
- Develop marketing and communications activities that build CGC as a global brand in cancer research, and ensure stakeholders who engage with the brand are informed, inspired and motivated to get involved;
To be successful in this role, we'll be looking for you to have the following skills and experience:
- Extensive experience and an excellent track record at building and leading the delivery of an integrated brand, marketing and communications strategy in a relevant sector, with experience of successfully leading campaigns at a global level;
- Extensive experience of building relationships with senior stakeholders internally and externally (particularly within the PR world, journalists and media outlets), judging situations and acting diplomatically to influence effectively and build consensus;
- Significant experience of managing complex projects involving multiple internal and external stakeholders;
Given that this is a Marketing and Communications role, you will also need to have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with strong attention to detail and the ability to interpret and explain complex information in a creative and engaging way.
We're just setting out on our mission, so this is an exciting time to join. So, if you thrive in a fast paced, ambiguous environment and could demonstrate our core values of being purposeful, galvanising and daring get in touch.
For more information, do take a look at the full candidate pack () and the CGC website ().