Oracle Database Administrator/ DBA
Contract: Fixed-term, 12 months+
Salary: £42,000 - £47,000
Hours: Full-time and part-time options (28-35 hours)
Location: Stratford with high flexibility to work from home 1-2 days per week (may be required to work at other CRUK sites)
Application Deadline: 23:55 on 30th July - please do not delay applying as we will be shortlisting on application.
Application process: In our commitment to Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion, we operate an anonymized shortlisting process. Please ensure you complete the work history section of the application form and answered all application questions. CVs are required for all applications, however, they will not be reviewed until the interview stage.
Are you an Oracle Database Administrator looking to be the leading internal expert on Oracle technologies responsible for delivering effective database solutions to facilitate business needs?
It's an exciting time to join the Technology team at Cancer Research UK (CRUK), our teams are now aligned to product portfolios ensuring we can deliver the best digital products and solutions to enable our pioneering work on how to prevent, diagnose, and treat cancer.
During this transformative time, it's crucial CRUK's databases continue to operate effectively in support of our lifesaving work across the organization. We are looking for a Database Administrator (DBA) to play an essential role in managing the effective day-to-day running of our Oracle Server Environments ensuring the effective set-up, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of our databases and platforms. This will include preparation for new or changed services; maintenance of regulatory, legal, and professional standards; and monitoring the performance of systems and services.
This is an opportunity to be our Oracle expert providing specialist expertise to facilitate, install, and maintain system software such as operating systems, data management products, office automation products, and other utility software. The post holder will need to ensure robust procedures are in place so appropriate operating decisions can be made to ensure the continued performance of CRUK databases.
- Manage CRUK's Oracle Database Platforms taking responsibility for our production databases and working collaboratively with developers.?
- Apply best practice and specialist knowledge to meet the changing business requirements of the Database infrastructure.
- Act as a technical expert in Oracle technologies providing the highest point of internal technical experience within CRUK for Oracle systems.?
- Provide solutions to complex operational problems by applying experience gained in the technical field and through research.
- Provide third-line support function to IS and business colleagues.?
- Coordinate all agreed system software maintenance tasks and recommend additional tasks to assist in the smooth running of Oracle technologies.?
- Report progress and escalate issues, where necessary.
- Liaise with the Windows and Linux Systems Administrators on issues related to installation, configuration, upgrade, administration, monitoring, and maintenance of databases and related systems.??
- Identify and manage own day-to-day tasks ensuring incident call queues, project requirements, and work requests are prioritized and fulfilled in line with service agreements (SLAs).??
- Report complex technical challenges to managers and colleagues in both ITS and business departments ensuring communication is fit for the relevant audience.?
- Evaluate and recommend new products and techniques related to Oracle Database admin/management.?
- Ensure configuration management records are maintained correctly within the CMDB.?
- Comply with Good Clinical Practice computer system validation guidelines.?
What we're looking for:
- Expertise in Oracle technologies to set up, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain the database systems.?
- Extensive experience administering Oracle 11g databases (Oracle 12g desirable).
- Administered Oracle databases on Red Hat?Linux (MS Windows desirable) and virtualized technologies with good shell scripting.?
- Experience in patching and upgrading databases.
- Experience using Oracle Grid Control/OEM
- Experience administering ASM.?
- Experience with other database technologies (Postgres, MySQL, and SQL Server would be an advantage).
- Experience in database and SQL tuning.?
- Able to use backup tools such as RMAN and Data Pump (Cohesity backup technology would be useful).
- Good communication skills with the ability to work across the organization.
- Experience in using a range of collaboration tools e.g. SharePoint.
- Knowledge of ITIL.
Cancer Research UK's Technology team is proud to be part of the Tech Talent Charter (TTC) for our efforts in driving equality, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace. Our vision is a digital world accessible to all, and we have always sought to draw from a diverse pool of talent and maintain an inclusive working environment.