Canterbury Food Bank CIO
Responsible to: Board of Trustees
Reports to: Operations Director
Base: Canterbury Food Bank Warehouse, Chestfield.
Look after the management accounts of the charity. This will involve liaising with our staff team and the charity's volunteers. Preparing the accounting entries for posting. Presenting payments for approval by the trustees and arranging for payments to be made. Prepare the finance report monthly. Meet with the treasurer and CFB Operational Director on a regular basis. Preparing financial statements for the year. Providing the auditors with all the supporting documentation when requested.
- Preparation of a monthly Treasurer’s Report to the board of trustees.
- Preparation of the monthly financial management accounts
- Preparation of the monthly cash flow forecast
- Calculating the gross monthly payroll sums due to employees each month in liaison with the line managers for any overtime due or other changes to the standard working time or rate of pay. Liaising with the payroll bureau about the payroll calculations, maintaining the charity’s payroll records for that month, making the payments to the staff, emailing the monthly payslip to each member of staff and making the monthly payment to HMRC re PAYE and NIC amounts due as advised by the payroll bureau. Emailing to each member of staff the form P60 at the end of the payroll year.
- Monitoring the UK Government Workplace Pensions legislation and ensuring compliance by the charity.
- Oversight of the NEST pension fund regulations (yes)and communicating with the CFB staff as necessary to enrol eligible members of staff.
- Calculating the monthly pension contributions due to the charity’s NEST Pension Scheme for each relevant employee. Setting up the monthly contributions for each staff member and the direct debit payment through the NEST website.
- Make payments for all the charity’s authorised liabilities using online banking with HSBC UK Bank.
- Monitoring transactions through and balances on the HSBC UK bank current account, the HSBC UK deposit account and the PayPal account and making transfers between the accounts as necessary in order to maximise the income earned from the charity’s resources.
- Monitor communications from Canterbury City Council re business rates and applying for charity relief as and when necessary.
- General regular oversight of the charity financial records for matters that may need to be notified to the trustees.
- Liaising with the treasurer to support the accurate entry of all donation details into our database, and to support the timely submission of gift aid claims.
- Transitioning the charity accounts from Excel to a cloud based accounting system.
- Managing and updating employee data: holiday tracking, sick leave etc.
- Being familiar with key staff policies and communicating to team as relevant and required
- Overseeing and sourcing new quotes for the charity’s insurance requirements including contents, public liability, and vehicle insurance.
- Relevant administration support.
- Accounting experience
- Excellent attention to detail and at least 2 years’ relevant experience working in a similar role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A self-motivated, organised person who can prioritise their workload to work to deadlines
- Confidentiality, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Excellent IT knowledge and skills, particularly MS Office and Excel
- Conversant with small accounting packages
£25,000 per annum, pro-rata. £12.82 per hour; 20 hours per week. Hours to be agreed between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.