Cardboard Citizens is seeking an experienced individual with a successful track record of fundraising and income generation to play a key role in helping to shape the company’s future, and establish Cardboard Citizens as a leading arts organisation working with and for people affected by homelessness.
Position: Development Manager
Deadline: Midday 24 February 2020
Accountable to: Director of Development
Responsible for: Trusts & Foundations Officer
Term: Permanent (full-time)
Place of Work: Cardboard Citizens, 77a Greenfield road, London, E1 1EJ (with occasional travel)
Hours of work: 37.5 hours – flexible working negotiable
Salary: £28,000 - £32,000 (circ. depending on experience)
Interviews: Wednesday 4 March 2020
Working within the Development Team, the successful candidate will be at a point in their career to embark on a more senior and strategic role. You will be an accomplished and highly efficient fundraiser with a proven track-record of generating significant funds from grants, statutory sources and individuals.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POST
- Oversee all income from trusts and grant-making organisations - including prospecting, stewardship and cultivation – to achieve annual targets (c. £550k 19/20) and maintain budget control and reporting functions
- Deliver an individual giving programme to develop existing and secure new income from a breadth of sources, including significant donations and smaller gifts to achieve annual targets (c. £55k 19/20)
MAIN DUTIES – TRUSTS, GRANTS & STATUTORY
The successful applicant will have demonstrable skills and experience successfully soliciting funds from trust and statutory sources; experience producing timely, high-quality reports; managing budgets, targets and deadlines; with a strong track record of identifying and securing funding prospects.
- Develop and deliver strategy to maximise income from charitable trusts and grant-makers including: national and international, local authorities, livery companies, and family foundations
- Prospect, research, prepare and write applications to trusts in support of Cardboard Citizens’ programme of activities – ensuring key messaging is on brand and accurate
- Proactively identify new areas for development, producing compelling cases for support, and overseeing the implementation of new projects (going forward this will also include providing some capital fundraising support where appropriate)
- Champion the importance of grant funding internally and ensure all staff are aware of the need for data capturing, impact reporting against KPIs and stakeholder engagement
- Management and stewardship of key funders through effective and accurate reporting and reapplication – involving key personnel across the organisation and ensuring regular touchpoints with senior staff and the Board of Trustees
- Oversee a timetable for approaches and solicitation, developing new leads and ensuring regular and accurate forecasting in-line with budget expectations
MAIN DUTIES – INDIVIDUAL GIVING
The successful candidate will be required to strategise and deliver all levels of individual giving – an area of growth for Cardboard Citizens, to support our increasing profile and future aspirations.
- Develop and deliver a strategic individual giving programme, with particular focus on developing and increasing income from new and existing donors, drawing support from the senior team and Board of Trustees
- Raise the profile of individual giving across our programmes of work, increasing levels of donations
- Manage Cardboard Citizens’ Friends scheme, growing a committed pool of donors
- Manage and increase the profile of Legacy Giving for Cardboard Citizens
- Manage a portfolio of donors and lead on approaches personally, involving key personnel when required – staff, board and other key stakeholders
- Prepare funding proposals, reports and other documents for prospects to advance the fundraising process and support donor decision making
- Work with Events & Corporate Manager to profile guests attending fundraising events, produce profile snapshots and identify key stakeholders to engage, cultivate and follow up
- Ensure administrative processes are in line with best practice are consistently applied with regards to donor records, gift agreements, GDPR, acknowledgements and recognition, and pledge schedules
All job descriptions are subject to review and amendment, in consultation with the employee. As will be necessary for the role, it is a requirement of Cardboard Citizens that all staff work in a flexible manner compatible with their jobs and in line with the company’s policies, procedures and objectives.
PERSON SPECIFICATION - ESSENTIAL
- At least three years’ fundraising experience in trust & foundation and/or individual giving
- Experience of managing and developing high profile relationships
- Experience of researching trusts and grant-making organisations
- Strong bid and report writing skills
- Ability to work creatively, take initiative and further the work of the Development team
- Excellent planning skills and good time management
- Enthusiasm and a passion for the work of Cardboard Citizens
- Experience of budget control and management
- Ability to work in a team and autonomously
We are committed to attracting diverse candidates. Applicants who meet our minimum (essential) criteria and identify as one of the following will be guaranteed an interview.
- Lived experience of homelessness
- At risk of homelessness
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.