Cardiff Met Students’ Union (SU) is seeking to recruit a full time Student Caseworker to join the student engagement team at the SU. Cardiff Met SU is a student facing organisation that provides representation, advice, sports, societies, volunteering and employability opportunities to students at Cardiff Met University.
The SU is an independent body set up to represent the views of Cardiff Met students. We offer services to enhance the experience of students during their time studying. We dedicate our time and resources to giving the student community of the University, fairness, opportunities and a voice and students automatically become a member when enrolling.
The Student Caseworker role is based within the student engagement team to provide independent and impartial advice and support to students on a range of subjects relating to University life.
The role is primarily based at the Llandaff Campus, with the requirement work from the Cyncoed Campus when necessary. Advice to students at our local UK/international partners is provided via email and Microsoft Teams.
**With Government/University safety measures in place as a result of Covid-19 the successful candidate will be required to work remotely for the time being.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide independent and impartial advice and support to Cardiff Met students on University procedures including Appeals, Complaints, Unfair Practice, Bullying and Harassment, Fitness to Study, Fitness to Practice and Student Disciplinaries
- Act as a sign posting service for students seeking support for mental health/wellbeing support and housing issues
- Work with the SU Vice President- Student Voice to provide one-to-one student representation
- To liaise with Staff, Schools and Departments across Cardiff Met to build positive working relationships to effectively support students
- Maintain up to date resources and guidance for the advice and support service, including maintenance of the ‘Support’ section of the website
- Manage and maintain a confidential casework recording system
- Analyse service data to identify peaks and trends and contribute to relevant papers and reports
- Monitor changes and updates to University policies and procedures
- Monitoring changes and updates within Higher Education that impact on University policies and procedures
- Represent the Students’ Union in relevant University meetings and working groups
- To carry out any other relevant duties reflective of the position with Cardiff Met Students’ Union
- Qualified to graduate or equivalent level or have relevant experience within Higher Education or related office or administrative environment
- Knowledge and understanding of current issues affecting students in Higher Education
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of policies and procedures in Higher Education (i.e. Appeals, Complaints, Unfair Practice, Student Conduct)
- The ability to administer, advise and represent students at all levels of study on a range of issues
- Effective interpersonal skills, including empathy and understanding of others
- Assertiveness and the ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations
- The ability to maintain a high level of personal resilience
- The ability to manage and maintain a casework system
- Exceptional communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent ICT skills including use of database systems and office software
- The ability to analyse data to identify peaks and trends and implement relevant changes to improve the service
- The ability to produce clear and accurate reports/papers
- Show a commitment to Equality and Diversity across all aspects of your role
- Ability to work effectively alone and as part of a team
- Ability to speak Welsh
- Experience working in a Higher Education setting
- Experience in an advisory role
- Experience with current issues affecting students in Higher Education
- Experience handling policies and procedures in Higher Education (i.e. Appeals, Complaints, Unfair Practice, Student Conduct)