Do you have experience or would like to develop your experience in working with vulnerable young people at risk of homelessness? Do you have availability to cover shifts across a range of days, evenings or nights? Then this could an ideal role for you.
Our 32 bed supported accommodation offers 16 – 25 year olds a safe place to stay whilst developing the skills that will enable them to go on and build an independent life. Many of our residents have complex needs and the Centre offers a range of on-site services as well as working closely with a range of other agencies to provide specialist support that will enables residents to address the obstacles that they are facing and empower them to achieve more.
This is a varied role and an excellent way of gaining experience in the homelessness sector, specifically working with Young People. You will provide first contact, safeguarding and support to the residents in our Supported Accommodation. You will be responsible for controlling access to the building, dealing with emergencies, carrying out Health and Safety checks and communicating any concerns or events to the rest of the team. You will collaborate and support the team in their work with residents who may be facing complex issues such as; mental and/or physical ill health, challenging behaviour, substance use and offending.
Cardinal Basil Hume founded the Centre in 1986; we offer a diverse range of services for homeless young people, families in need and the local community on one site. The Centre enables people to gain the skills and support they need to overcome poverty and homelessness. We have 32 bed supported accommodation and also 5 move on flats all on one site. We are recruiting for Casual Hostel Support Workers who are able to cover for permanent staff absences such as annual leave or sickness. You will be able to work a variety of shifts across a wide range of days, being available to cover shifts as and when required.
• Some experience of dealing directly with the public and/or clients or costumers in a busy service environment.
• An understanding of, and empathy with, the issues faced by homeless or vulnerable housed people, particularly Young People.
• Experience in using your initiative and making appropriate decisions when faced with emergencies or unexpected situations.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• A non-judgemental approach to working with people experiencing homelessness.
• Ability to show insight, openness, maturity and stability in the face of pressure
• Able to follow procedures accurately and keep simple records to demonstrate completion of tasks.
• Understanding of the need for confidentiality and discretion at work.
• Experience of Safeguarding.
• Basic IT skills; ability to log on to systems to input simple information and type emails.
The following are required of all roles within the Hostel:
• Genuine interest in and commitment to Cardinal Hume Centre’s work and client group.
• An understanding of and commitment to diversity & equality.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Contract type: Rolling Casual Contract
Hours: Variable. You will be offered work if it becomes available and will be given reasonable notice of available work. You are not obliged to accept any shifts offered to you.
Salary: £10.78 per hr plus accrued holiday pay (equates to £12.08 p/h)
Application deadline: Recruitment on on-going basis
Other benefits: The Centre provides an auto-enrolment pension scheme for staff who are eligible and will match employee contributions up to a maximum of 6%.
The Centre requires all its staff and volunteers to respect the ethos of the Centre and to be in sympathy with its aims and objectives.
A commitment to respecting and implementing the Centre’s Equal Opportunity Policy is also expected.
The Centre requires its staff to recognise the valuable role that volunteers play in the work of the Centre and to welcome and support volunteers with whom they work.
The Centre requires all its staff and volunteers to undertake an appropriate level of DBS or police check.
How to apply
If you are interested in this role, please view the full job description below. You will need to submit your CV and a covering letter to demonstrate how you meet the Person Specification. Please also download, complete and send the Equal Opportunities Form and the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act form below.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.