Our Access Team assists asylum seekers in navigating the UK asylum process by finding them specialist solicitors and working with our volunteer interpreters to help them organise their paperwork. We currently work with 200+ legal firms around the UK, providing an invaluable service to both the asylum-seeker and the overstretched legal immigration teams.
As a member of this specialist team, you will have a diverse role helping people to manage the lengthy asylum process and using the knowledge gained from working alongside them to improve outcomes for all refugees. You’ll have the chance to gain broad experience of working in a fast paced and experienced team while meeting the ever-changing needs of those we support. So, if you thrive in a collaborative environment and are looking for a role where you can make a real difference, we want to hear from you!
As a Legal Access Caseworker, you’ll focus on providing outstanding support to your clients throughout the complex asylum process.
In this busy, hands-on role, you’ll gain a deep understanding of the function of the UK asylum system so we can provide the highest standards of service to those who need us most. A key focus will be on maintaining accurate and complete records and processes and delivering high quality service to every one of our vulnerable clients.
We are looking for people who have a genuine passion for human rights and refugee protection. If this is you, please get in touch.
- Attend induction, ongoing training and keep up to date with resources and procedure to ensure you can carry out the role effectively and efficiently.
- Able to work independently and manage your time effectively, sometimes working to tight deadlines
- Take on new cases each week, whilst also providing ongoing support to previous clients
- Supporting asylum seekers to access legal aid lawyers, ensuring they understand the process and are informed so that they can make their own choices
- Organised and accurate with information, with an eye for detail
- Maintaining and updating client records
- Sorting and organising client’s paperwork
- Ability to use spreadsheets, Google Workspace, messaging platforms and secure databases.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate with people who do not have English as their first language, working alongside interpreters to ensure clients understand the process
- An understanding of the traumatic experiences that our clients have been through and the emotional resilience to cope with this
- Liaising with other professionals including lawyers and Migrant help
- Professional and dedicated to ensure that the best interests of the clients and Care4Calais are represented at all times
- Attend regular team meetings and contribute effectively
- Understand the remit of the role, we do not give legal advice, we are a referral mechanism
- Following safeguarding procedures and reporting safeguarding incidents appropriately
- Referring clients to other teams within the organisation, when necessary
- Keeping the legal access management team updated of any issues that may impact your ability to carry out the role effectively.
- Maintaining communication with the management team throughout your role, available for regular check-ins to ensure the best service is provided to our clients.
- To participate in promoting the work of the legal access team as directed by the management team
To apply please provide a covering letter outlining why you want to work for the Legal Access team, and why you think you would be suitable for this role. Please note that applications without a covering letter will not be considered