Care4Calais is a volunteer-run charity delivering essential aid and support to refugees and asylum seekers living in the worst conditions across the UK and Northern France. We believe in a fair and tolerant British society and advocate for a welcoming and inclusive attitude towards refugees.
The Role: Logistics & Purchasing Manager
We are recruiting a Logistics & Purchasing Manager to join our rapidly expanding UK team. The successful applicant will lead on the procurement and movement of goods vital to those we assist.
To be successful, applicants will need experience in freight forwarding or transport management as well as strong organisational, communication and negotiation skills. A key challenge of this role will be managing and organising our volunteer force of drivers, offering their time and petrol to deliver aid on our behalf voluntarily. In addition experience of working with commercial partners is useful.
The refugee crisis is politically controversial, and the debate and sensitivity around this topic can be intense. Therefore, an awareness of our personnel's risks and consequences of public actions and statements is necessary.
Our Ideal Candidate:
Our ideal candidate will display evident organisational skills and the ability to act with initiative and drive in various situations. In addition, they will demonstrate a positive mental attitude with a warm, friendly persona to win the trust and support of our volunteer logistics team in order to complete challenging jobs.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities & Functions
In this role, you will arrange transportation of donated goods around the UK and the export/import of suitable items to/from the EU and Rest of World. Knowledge of UK commercial transportation services as well as international freight forwarding, customs and duties processes, and legal requirements is therefore essential.
You will use your expertise in procurement to ensure that the Charity always gets best value for goods and services purchased, and that the time, effort and goodwill of volunteers/ donors is used responsibly to save the Charity costs of transportation and storage.
You will cultivate and support networks of volunteer drivers and donated logistics facilities to operate efficiently, transparently and with ease. Therefore, the ability to give clear & friendly instructions or processes for volunteers to collect, sort, pack, transport, and deliver donated goods is essential to reducing the reliance on commercial services.
• Coordinating the end-to-end processes for the efficient distribution of donated goods and purchased supplies to our beneficiaries: logging all orders/ requests (from different channels) accurately; checking inventory available stock; coordinating with volunteers on sorting, picking, packing and preparing for delivery, arranging free/ lowest cost transportation.
• Managing the drop off locations map and monitoring the levels of donations at these hubs.
• Organising the transportation of vital donations and ensuring smooth distribution to recipients
• Ensuring the successful running of the supply chain within the charity. In addition, you will communicate and ensure ongoing support for all other volunteers and departments that you work with.
• Work closely with the CEO and the Senior Management Team to ensure a smooth running of the purchasing and logistics areas.
Essential skills/knowledge relevant to this role include:
• Logistics and transport management skills - experience in purchasing, logistics management and the legalities of transportation to/from the EU.
• Attention to Detail - excellent focus on recording data correctly; completing agreed processes; finishing tasks and seemless admin
• Organisational skills - excellent ability to prioritise and multitask. This role involves juggling multiple competing priorities and responding to urgent situations across our volunteer groups.
• Self-starting - we are looking for a highly-motivated self-starter who can work on their own initiative and make informed decisions under pressure.
• Reporting - the role requires strong performance and reporting skills. You will need the ability to set and monitor budgets, reporting to senior management, board and CEO. In addition you will need to proactively report on volunteer evaluation, providing relevant data and metrics.
• IT - all applicants must be IT literate with excellent MS Office, reporting and presentation skills. They will also need to be well versed in leading online meetings using Microsoft Teams, Zoom and telephone conferences.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time, and it is subject to change in accordance with the needs of Care4Calais. If your application for this role is unsuccessful, but we feel that you would be suitable for another role, we may contact you to discuss alternative opportunities. If this occurs, you would not need to submit another application for the alternate role.
To apply, please review the attached Job description/person specification and send your CV along with a Covering Letter (1 page A4 max) detailing your relevant experience of leading, managing and motivating large groups of volunteers and how you believe that you can add value to this role?
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we can appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date.