Career Ready is a social mobility charity that supports students at schools and colleges in disadvantaged areas, giving them the confidence, skills, networks and opportunity to achieve their potential and enjoy a rewarding future. Since 2002 Career Ready has run programmes which connect employers with young people aged 11-18 with mentors, internships, skills masterclasses and wider careers activities that prepare them for success in the world of work.
Last year, our network of 5,000 volunteers from 1,000 employers, large and small, helped to transform the lives of 69,000 young people in over 400 schools and colleges. Career Ready is also a partner of the Careers Enterprise Company, charged with implementing the national careers strategy in England as a ‘provider of high quality services’ to young people.
Career Ready makes a remarkable impact on the lives of young people. Their programmes are mapped to learning outcomes which reflect the skills, attitudes and behaviour which employers seek. They enable young people to navigate the careers and education landscape on leaving school or college. Career Ready’s mission is to ensure those from disadvantaged backgrounds are prepared for the world of work and make a successful transition from education to rewarding employment and a fulfilling future career.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The main purpose of our Regional Managers is to grow, develop and deliver all aspects of the day-to-day account management of:
- Schools and colleges running a Career Ready programme within the region
- Employer supporters, corporate supporters, stakeholders and partners
- Corporate supporters, stakeholders and partners
The Regional Manager will join our London & South East team and will work with colleagues to ensure Career Ready is embedded across the region. There will be opportunities to collaborate and be creative, as well as being autonomous in how you run and develop programmes with your schools/colleges and employer accounts.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Account manage on a regular basis schools and colleges running our programme (primarily based in London). This will require support visits, managing events for students and corporate supporters, conducting Quality Assurance visits.
- Provide regular communication and reporting to the Lead Manager London & South East and external funders.
- Work in close co-operation with head office staff to provide a co-ordinated approach to the wider region, which could include joint regional events and covering for each other.
- Promote the contribution of Career Ready and awareness of Career Ready to potential supporters, and assist in engaging their commitment to give both practical and financial support.
- Account manage relationships with regional and local corporate supporters and regional or local operations of national corporate supporters.
- Attend Local Advisory Boards (employer board) meetings, where appropriate, at a city or affiliated school or college.
- Help support mentor volunteers with their programme support.
- Ensure that all regional management information is submitted to the organisational database (Salesforce) in a timely and accurate way.
- Support schools and colleges in delivery of internships and work placements.
- From time to time there will be need to deliver sessions to skills and careers leads and to groups of young people within the school and college setting.
- Recruit new schools and colleges to the network from the region in accordance with priority target areas. Manage their induction, training, activities prior to launch and implementation of the Career Ready programme.
National and strategic management
- Contribute to the corporate work of Career Ready.
- With the Chief Executive, Director of Programmes and Lead Manager London & South East monitor the state of Career Ready in the region and seek ways to promote its achievements and improve the service given by the central staff team.
- Attend meetings and training days (mostly based in London).
- In conjunction with senior staff and the communications team, work to raise the profile of Career Ready in the Regional Manager’s area, and its key stakeholders in the regional and local media, business and education communities.
- Undertake public speaking and media engagements as required to promote the work of Career Ready in the Regional Manager’s area.
- Assist schools and colleges on our programmes to plan, manage and run events to promote Career Ready to potential corporate supporters, students, parents / carers and the local community, and be prepared to present at such events.
- Attend national Career Ready events such as A Capital Experience.
- Arrange and manage regional events including launch events, mentor icebreakers, work place visits.
- From time to time, Regional Managers may be required to deliver programme materials (e.g. assemblies, masterclasses etc.)
Promote a commitment to high standards of service, and to equality of opportunity through leadership, policy development and good practice. You will be able to build local partnerships with schools, colleges and employers with a view to growth with the Career Ready strategic plan. An entrepreneurial spirit allied with a can do attitude will go a long way.
- Target driven, but able to balance financial and non-financial objectives.
- Entrepreneurial with the ability to follow through and achieve results.
- Forward planner with excellent time management skills.
- Able to deliver targets and objectives, often alone, but also to rise above the detail and take a strategic perspective.
- Able to communicate effectively in a wide variety of situations, including formal speaking engagements to large audiences.
- Able to reach, network with and communicate to a wide range of stakeholders and potential stakeholders including senior business people, principals of schools and colleges and students.
- Able to operate corporately as part of the Career Ready team.
- Consultative and supportive management style.
- Skilled negotiator, internally and externally.
- Ability to use databases, Word, excel, PowerPoint and other ‘Office’ packages.
A flexible approach to working hours is essential as ‘out of hours’ meetings are common within the requirements of this role.
One of the following:
(i) Preferably three years in an education role. Experience could have been gained in schools, FE colleges or not-for-profit organisations, but the successful applicant must be able to gain credibility with senior managers in a variety of educational institutions; or
(ii) Three years experience in a not-for-profit organisation involved with young people; or
(iii) Three years experience in a community development or Corporate Social Responsibility role in a company; and
Evidence of commercial awareness and proven experience of account management.
Appointment will be subject to a 3-month probation period during which time the contract may be terminated with one week’s notice.
An enhanced criminal record (DBS) check will be required for the role.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Up to £35,000 pa, depending on experience
- Plus 6% contribution to personal pension plan, subject to 3% employee contribution
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Annual leave: 25 days per annum plus bank/public holidays. The office is also closed between Christmas and New Year and there are an additional 2 days of leave available in August.
An enhanced criminal record (DBS) check will be required for the role.
Closing date for applications: Monday 17th February 2020 at 9 a.m.
Interviews held on 20th February 2020 with possible overflow on the 21st.
If you are interested in the role, please apply online by submitting your CV and a covering letter (of no more than 2 pages) that demonstrates clearly, through examples, how your experience meets the requirements of the role and what attracts you to Career Ready. Please provide details of your current salary.
Please note that if your application is not accompanied by a covering letter your application will not be considered.
Registered Charity Numbers 1092891 (England & Wales) SCO43678 (Scotland)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.