This is an exceptional opportunity to be responsible for the strategic review and implementation of Oracle Cancer Trust’s business plan, the development of its governance and management processes, the expansion of its project funding portfolio and fundraising capabilities, and the implementation of its growth strategy.
You must have had previous experience as CEO, Executive Director or other senior corporate management and have worked in, or with, a charity and therefore be able to engage effectively with HNWIs, foundations, trusts and corporate charitable giving programmes.
Oracle Cancer Trust supports the development of pioneering scientific and clinical research in the field of head and neck cancer by providing grant funding for early-stage projects. We are looking for a Chief Executive Officer (Part time) who will be able to devote a minimum of two days a week to this pivotal Charity, consolidate the team’s efforts, bring renewed energy and enthusiasm, and build on the excellent work that is already being done.
- To provide organisational leadership to the charity and be responsible for the overall management and administration of the Charity’s activities within the strategic and accountability frameworks laid down by the Board of Trustees.
- To review and deliver the targets set out in the Business Plan while reviewing and implementing a strategy to maintain the current research projects, the overheads and create a strategy for the next 3 years to see the Charity through the current economic crisis.
- To be accountable to Oracle’s Board and lead a team comprising the Operations Manager, the Head of Fundraising and one assistant.
- To ensure, together with the Chair, that the Board of Trustees receives guidance in setting the values, ethos, vision, mission, strategic objectives and priorities for the Charity.
- To enable the Board of Trustees to fulfil its duties and responsibilities for the proper governance of the Charity and to ensure that the Board receives timely advice and appropriate information on all relevant matters.
- To support the Head of Fundraising in meeting the revenue targets of the Charity.
- To network with potential funders, corporate leaders, HNWIs
- To act as the public face and voice of the Charity with respect to communications, marketing and PR to develop a larger potential pool of funders.
- To attend the Finance and Investments Committee which controls and monitors all of Oracle’s major financing commitments, the Research Committee, which reviews, approves and monitors all of Oracle’s research commitments, and you will lead the Management Team which manages Oracle’s day-to-day operations. Each of these committees meets approximately every quarter.
- To consistently commit valuable time to the Charity and spend an average of two days per week on a variety of Oracle activities.
Skills and Experience
- Prepared to engage in close, ‘hands-on’ day-to-day operational management of the Charity.
- Able to demonstrate a strong track record in leadership and management of people - can motivate and drive team colleagues.
- Organized, can plan ahead and meet deadlines.
- Energetic and enthusiastic.
- Preferably from the financial services or commercial sector
- Has had previous experience as a CEO, Executive Director or other senior corporate management.
- Has experience of working in, or with, a charity
- Is conversant with the current changes to the charity and social investment sector
- Has the experience and presence to be able to engage effectively with other CEOs, HNWIs, foundations, trusts and corporate charitable giving programmes - a wide range of business and personal contacts