Purpose of the job:
Carers Lewisham are looking to recruit a Carers Support Officer in Lewisham to work within the borough, to deliver support to those who have caring responsibilities for someone who is experiencing dementia. The post will be based at Carers Lewisham, Waldram Place, Forest Hill SE23 2LB, with working at other sites throughout the borough. The service provides support, advocacy, information and advice to unpaid carers and persons living with dementia. The post holder will work with external partners and linked providers and be responsible for ensuring delivery of services in line with contract and requirements, achieving high quality and positive outcomes for clients. The Carers Support Officer will be delivering the service as part of the Lewisham Dementia Support Hub. The Hub consists of four services working in partnership: Mindcare, Carers Lewisham, Sydenham Gardens and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, with Mindcare being the lead organisation
- Complete home visits to ascertain families' needs and to assess risks.
- Support carers in high levels of stress at risk of carer breakdown or ill wellbeing
- Make referrals on behalf of clients, signposting to relevant external agencies and supporting to access appropriate services including health services.
- Compile and maintain records, systems and filing in relation to carers, ensuring all policies and procedures are adhered to and that records are maintained in accordance with the Data Protection Act as well as all current legislation, standards and best practice.
- Carry out outreach work within community settings to promote awareness of the service. Facilitating outreach drop in advice sessions around the borough of Lewisham and helping to arrange and facilitate dementia carers training and workshops
- Provide advice around carers allowance and referrals for those that want to access employment opportunities.
- Liaise with the local authority on carers behalf to support to arrange respite, care packages, carers assessments and passing on any safeguarding concerns
- Work in partnership with NHS and social service colleagues to ensure the carer and cared for person’s needs are being met.
- Provide education and advice to primary and secondary care services in the locality.
- Liaise, work, and create effective relationships with other voluntary, statutory and private agencies and services as necessary in order to raise awarenessand develop the service.
- Ensure own knowledge and understanding of all internal policies and procedures as well as all relevant, external strategies, policies and legislation
- Contribute to the creation of service information packs and ensure all social, digital and print media are fully up to date with relevant, factual and accurate information and advice that is relevant to complainants.
- Responsible for completing accurate monitoring reports and capturing accurate referral information.
- Responsible for maintaining confidential client records in line with Data Protection and internal confidentiality policy.
Representing the Organisation
- Representing the organisation at external events and development forums
- Attending regular multi-disciplinary meetings and team meetings.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the Carers Lewisham team.
- Meet legislative and all relevant regulatory requirements
- Carry out duties in accordance with service principles, policies and procedures
- Liaise with health, social care and other providers on improving and linking the delivery of services to people in the borough
- Participate in borough-wide planning groups with statutory and voluntary agencies to represent the needs and interests of service users
- Attend meetings and training courses as required, including regular supervision meetings and annual appraisal with the Director of Services.
- Undertake from time to time such other tasks as may be required including administrative duties in connection with the post
- Uphold and implement the policies and procedures of Carers Lewisham throughout all aspects of the work of the organisation.
To apply please provide your CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 sides referring the person specification.