Carers Trust: Head of External Affairs Wales (Wales)
What are we looking for?
This role will suit someone who is a strong communicator with an interest in making a positive difference for the 370,000+ unpaid carers in Wales. Our Head of External Affairs is responsible for leading the development and implementation of strategies and operational plans designed to raise the profile of Carers Trust in Wales and the issues impacting on unpaid carers and the services they rely on.
This senior role within Carers Trust would suit someone with the skills, experience and enthusiasm to influence and inform Welsh Government and the Welsh Parliament and contribute to UK-wide campaigning activities. The role will work closely with the Director for Wales in developing our future strategic and operational priorities in Wales.
To be successful as Head of External Affairs (Wales) at Carers Trust, you will have: (the following skills and experience will be assessed at interview)
- Experience in representing a national organisation at a senior level including working with the Welsh Government and a range of strategic partners
- Comprehensive knowledge of Welsh policy-making processes including Welsh Parliament business and the mechanisms involved in developing legislation, policy and statutory guidance
- Experience in strategic influencing at a national level including working directly with Members of the Senedd, Senedd Committees and civil servants
- The ability to build relationships with a range of stakeholders and to communicate with diverse audiences effectively
- Experience in analysing and influencing policy at a national level and formulating policy recommendations in an evidence-led way that empowers those with lived experience to have their voices heard
- Experience in line management, including setting objectives, supporting performance and monitoring outcomes
- The ability to manage complex partnership projects including oversight of budget and finance as well as monitoring and evaluation of the impact
- A coaching management style focused on empowering people to produce high-quality work and to grow and develop within their roles
- Entry-level Welsh language skills as described by the Welsh Language Skills Framework which Carers Trust would be committed to supporting you to develop
What difference will you make for carers in Wales?
As part of a dynamic UK-wide team you will:
- Lead all external affairs functions on behalf of Carers Trust in Wales creating and delivering an ambitious and impact focussed External Affairs strategy for Wales
- Demonstrably influence Welsh Government policy, Welsh Parliament business and local and regional policy and commissioning practices for the benefit of carers and carers services
- Manage complex Welsh Government funded partnership projects focused on transforming carers' experiences and outcomes in a range of settings
- Develop a high-performing expert External Affairs team and bring together various project teams to work together effectively towards achieving shared aims and objectives
- Build trust, influence and partnerships with a range of other teams within Carers Trust
- Act as an expert spokesperson for Carers Trust in Wales working directly with the media and senior decision-makers to raise awareness of the issues impacting carers
- Create a strong profile for Carers Trust in Wales positioning us as a trusted, leading organisation for carers
This is a full-time position (35 hours per week) on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will need to be able to work from home until COVID restrictions allow our Cardiff office to reopen. Once restrictions are lifted, we will consider a hybrid working pattern between home and office-based working.
If this sounds like the role for you and meets your ambitions for carers, we would be delighted to hear from you. If you have any questions then please feel free to email Simon Hatch to arrange a confidential discussion