Caring in Bristol’s mission is to empower our city to solve homelessness. We fill gaps in provision for people experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness by creating innovative projects powered by the community.
From prevention to emergency support, our projects range from producing free-citywide resources that empower our city to act, to investing in youth support, helping influence change from the very start.
We are small yet highly ambitious and have significantly expanded our reach over the last two years to fund the work we’re passionate about in our city. For example, in March 2017 we partnered with St Mungo’s to create an entirely volunteer-powered emergency shelter helping 333 people with a safe and warm place to stay off the streets.
As our new Head of Development you will be ambitious, passionate and committed, with the energy and experience to develop Caring in Bristol’s case for support, generate income and build strategic partnerships.
You will develop and deliver a new income generation strategy. The strategy will achieve our ambitious goals, diversify our income streams and generate sustained income growth to support the development of our work across the city.
Working closely with the Charity Director and leading our Development team, you’ll develop and lead our relationships with multiple strategic partners, drive meaningful impact and business outcomes and increase support for our work across the city. You’ll have exceptional communication skills, a positive attitude and the ability to thrive in a creative, collaborative and committed team.
We offer great flexibility around working arrangements and you can largely organise your working hours to suit you. We have a vibrant and relaxed work culture, the chance to make the job your own, and to take our organisation to the next level.
Who we are
Caring in Bristol is an unusual charity, grown from the ground up thirty years ago as an annual Christmas Shelter – Caring at Christmas. While this project remains very close to our hearts, we’ve used the last few years to make big changes to the charity, taken on a new staff team and evolved a significant programme of additional services and projects with a focus to both prevent homelessness and support those experiencing it all year round.
We have a special place in Bristol, firmly rooted, yet independent. Our innovative digital platforms, information campaigns and ‘Get To Know’ educational work have developed and elevated the Caring in Bristol brand and built a new community of supporters.
We’re now at a moment in our development where we want to grow to the next level, investing in staff, systems and an evidence base, that will help us empower Bristol to solve homelessness.
We believe in working collaboratively and transparently, taking risks, informing and educating, standing up for the people and causes we believe in and putting prevention first.
What we’re looking for
A creative leader – you’ll have an entrepreneurial mind with a passion for developing our organisation and an ambition to make a difference in Bristol. We’re not fussy if you’ve worked for a charity before, if you’re excited to join our team, motivated to go the extra mile and bring the skill sets we need to take Caring in Bristol to the next phase.
An innovator – you are an observant, critical and creative thinker, that can innovate, adapt and utilise tools and key selling points to a wide range of audiences.
A people person – you will be an excellent collaborator and communicator and a quick learner. You may or may not know Bristol well, but you are someone who can quickly build rapport, make the ask and develop new opportunities from scratch.
A diverse organisation - we strive to represent the community where we work and the people we work with; we encourage applications from Black, Asian and ethnic minority candidates, candidates from all gender identities and sexual orientations, candidates with disabilities, and candidates with lived experience.
What you’ll be doing
Generating new income
- Lead on developing and delivering an income generation strategy consisting of creative and diversified income streams, including cash, regular gifts, community and corporate fundraising, major donors, events, trading, etc.
- Manage and strengthen internal development systems for tracking impact data and donor giving, including CRM system development and management
Campaigning and Communicating
- Leading our communications and digital strategy and developing our case for support. Working closely with the Communications and Campaigns Coordinator, you will develop integrated and innovative marketing outputs and campaigns. Raise visibility, awareness and understanding of our vision and mission in order to continue building our original brand identity.
- Design and implement evaluation and monitoring processes to evaluate campaign outcomes.
- Building, nurturing and progressing excellent new strategic relationships and partnerships
- A candidate excited about building our organisation, with the potential to become our Director of Development. Reporting to the Charity Director and working alongside the senior management team, you’ll be responsible for helping build the organisation, shape our overall strategy, develop our unique organisational culture and develop internal policies and procedures that make CiB a great place to work.
Building the team
- Manage the fundraising team, including the Communications and Campaigns Coordinator, Grants and Development Coordinator, and the Supporter Relations Assistant, maintaining a collaborative and people centred approach.
- Manage budgets associated with income generation, grants and development, and communication and campaigns.
Involving our beneficiaries
- You’ll be supported to find ways to directly work alongside our beneficiaries, to ensure your approach is informed and influenced by a first-hand understanding of the people we work with.
Essential must haves
- Minimum of three years experience of working in relevant business, not-for-profit, social enterprises/start-ups or charity settings with a proven track record of successful development and implementation of income generation strategies.
- Experience of partnership working to achieve innovative outcomes.
- Experience in building and managing teams and mentoring and developing staff.
- Experience of managing, setting and monitoring budgets and financial management information, including developing and using management information.
- Ability to think creatively and translate campaigns and marketing outputs into income generation targets.
- A passion to change Bristol for the better.