Area Retail Manager
Home/Field Based (covering the South East region)
Full time, 35 hours per week
12 months fixed term contract
£36,526.08 per annum (starting salary subject to experience) plus excellent benefits including a homeworking allowance and a car allowance
As this is a home based role, it is also essential that you hold a full, valid UK driving licence and are willing to undertake travel within the area which may include overnight stays and some unsocial hours.
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. We now help around 193,000 cats & kittens through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches & 36 adoption centres & homing centres.
Working alongside our incredible volunteers & retail employees, the Area Retail Manager will support, advise, motivate & manage our retail teams to drive income. With scope for creativity & innovation, this role provides an excellent opportunity to really make your mark in a retail operation that has embarked on an exciting expansion programme.
- Line manage all paid & voluntary shop managers effectively in order to maximise income from each shop
- In consultation with the branches, manage the recruitment & selection process (including probationary reviews) for all the paid shop staff, and bank staff, within the Area
- Implement the Performance Management Review with all paid shop managers & ensure they in turn carry out the Review with their assistant managers
- Hold regular meetings with shop staff to review shop performance, ensure clear communication & encourage networking between shops
- Support the Shop Managers in arranging cover for shop management vacancies, absence & holidays in their shops
Setting up new shops/refits
- Work with branches & the Operations team to manage the process of starting up new shops, liaising with Property & Legal teams during lease negotiations
- Assist & advise branches on completing business plans for new shop proposals
- Advise & work with branches on refits & lease renewals
- In conjunction with the Operations team, identify appropriate locations & units for non-branch aligned shops then manage the process of opening & running the shops, averaging one new shop per year
Finance/Income & Expenditure
- Develop annual income & expenditure targets for shops within the Area then manage them proactively through the year
- Work with the retail team to develop systems to provide financial management information then use this to maximise income
- Work with the Volunteer Audit team to ensure that shop financial processes are managed correctly & investigate any significant discrepancies as they arise
- Work with the shop teams to ensure best retail standards are implemented to increase income, including merchandising, sorting & pricing, customer service & stock rotation
In conjunction with the branches, help the shops to promote the CP brand & presence in the local area
- Ensure shops work within legal and CP health & safety requirements, Trading Standards law & fire regulations
- In conjunction with the H&S Manager, undertake regular H&S checks of all shops within the Area
- Help shops to identify their stock needs and develop plans to ensure sufficient stock is generated to meet these needs; set up ways of sharing stock within CP where appropriate
- Assist shop managers with developing initiatives to generate stock then share best practice/successes
- Support the shops & branches in developing/building a strong local profile for CP, promoting the work carried out & providing a point of contact for the public
- Maximise the promotion of the overall aims & values of the charity through the shops in the Area
- Work with colleagues in the Retail team to strengthen, develop, promote & improve the retail operation across CP, including the development of the new goods operation
- Promote & develop positive working relationships within the Area seeking opportunities for joint initiatives for branches & departments
- Attend sector meetings & conferences & develop relationships with sector colleagues to broaden knowledge & develop & implement best practice
- Be a motivated & dynamic individual who has experience of working in the charity retail sector
- Have first class people management skills, strong business acumen & significant experience of working with volunteers
- Have experience of setting & managing income & expenditure targets
- Have experience of opening new shops / managing relocations and having multi-site retail experience is desirable
Closing Date: 23 June 2019
Interview Date: week commencing 15 July 2019
To reward you we have a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. We also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.