Cat Welfare Learning Officer - West England, Wales and Northern Ireland (homebased)
Full time - 35 hours per week
£35,077.91 per annum (starting salary subject to experience)
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. We now help around 193,000 cats and kittens through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 36 adoption centres and homing centres.
As a key member of the Cat Welfare Learning team, you will be taking responsibility for overseeing the cat welfare learning and training needs for volunteers and employees in the West England, Wales and Northern Ireland region. Some of the centres in this region are Birmingham, Bridgend, Cornwall, Ferndown, Hereford, Evesham and Belfast. You will be identifying, planning and supporting the delivery of Cat Welfare Learning workshops to volunteers and employees.
Your main duties will be:
1. Identifying learning needs in the Centres in liaison with the Centre Managers, Centre Operations Managers, Heads of Operations, the Cat Welfare Learning Specialist, and the Veterinary Department as appropriate. With direction from the Cat Welfare Learning Specialist, develop and deliver an on-going learning and development programme, working closely with Centre and Volunteer managers.
2. Ensuring specific cat welfare-related learning needs are identified and met within each centre, working in conjunction with Centre Operations Managers, Centre Managers, Deputies and Volunteer Team Leaders to establish appropriate interventions and delivery.
3. Support the induction of new employees and volunteers to centres and branches, in conjunction with Centre Operations Managers, the Cat Welfare Learning Specialist and other colleagues as appropriate. Including supporting the development of new branches.
4. Plan, deliver and evaluate cat welfare-related learning and development to branches and volunteers. Working with Area Branch Development Managers, the Welfare Teams and other colleagues to develop and provide learning resources and opportunities for volunteers.
5. Support the work of the Flexible Learning Team in producing online cat-welfare related learning, including webinars, videos and short courses.
6. Support the development of a culture of continuous learning in the charity, ensuring that L&D is delivered in a flexible and responsive manner to employees and volunteers responsible for cat welfare. This will include the development of CPs online and flexible learning programmes.
7. Regularly visit and liaise with all centres within their remit, focusing on building relationships, providing support, expertise and guidance and to volunteers as appropriate.
8. Work with colleagues within the People Team to support the development of employee and volunteer management and engagement, taking a key role in supporting the People Strategy and the delivery of Cat’s Protection’s Charity Plan, aims and values.
We are looking for someone with:
- An animal welfare qualification (RVN, animal welfare related degree)
- A background in training, including identifying needs & delivering training
- Hands-on animal handling experience in a vet practice/welfare/shelter setting (including cats)
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience of working in a team, and the ability to work with remote teams
- A good knowledge of both animal welfare (including cats) and Health and Safety practices and procedures
- Excellent public speaking/presentation skills.
- Microsoft Office skills
- A proven ability to manage multiple priorities and work on your own initiative
- An ability to deal with people at all levels with tact and diplomacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to deliver constructive feedback effectively
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills, including effective influencing and personal impact
- A strong alignment with the CP values, mission and policy
This will be a home based position with significant travel throughout the West England, Wales and Northern Ireland region, visiting Cats Protection and other venues, and it will therefore be beneficial for the post holder to live within the region. You must be willing and able to travel extensively within the region, including weekends and overnight stays. You will be entitled to either a car or a car allowance as well as a home workers allowance.
Closing Date: 30 June 2019
Interview Date: 17 and 18 July 2019
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.