The role of Development Manager is an important position within Cause4’s Development Team. The Development Manager will maximise income from Trusts and Foundations for clients, alongside supporting the Development team in developing income from a broad range of fundraising and bid writing activities. This is a client facing role, with the Development Manager developing their own client portfolio. The role will also play a key role in supporting Cause4 to leverage additional funding for its own internal programmes and to support the writing and development of content across our core programmes. There is an opportunity for part-time and flexible working within this role.
Cause4 champions new ways of scaling up charities and social enterprises supporting them to change and grow. A small team but with big ambition and a big heart, it’s not the size of project that matters to us but whether it can make an impact. Provoking change is at the heart of our mission.
Cause4 works in partnership with corporations, charities and people to develop important charitable projects, create new business models, as well as to raise vital funds working across the charity, arts, sports andeducationsectors. Learning lessons from the private sector to benefit not-for-profit organisations, since set up in May 2009, Cause4has raised over £57 million for clients and is committed to helping attract the best graduate talent to work on some of the charitable sector’s most pressing issues.
As a social enterprise and certified B-Corporation, Cause4 measures its social impact based on the level of income achieved for clients, and the associated impact of programmes across multiple beneficiary communities.
- Curious – our culture seeks to foster ideas, encourage considered risk-taking and support creativity that will achieve the best results.
- Ambitious – we actively encourage partnerships and collaboration, supporting organisations to be open to change in a fast-changing environment.
- United – we put team-working and collaboration at the heart of all our work.
- Straight-talking – we are straightforward and honest, and our communications are simple and jargon-free.
- Entrepreneurial – we aim to develop dynamic and entrepreneurial business models that support sustainable and cost-effective programmes for charities.
This is an exciting time to join Cause4’s Development Team to take on and support a varied client portfolio and to contribute to a substantial track record in charitable fundraising.
Trusts and Foundations and Bid Writing
- To develop Cases for Support and funding applications on behalf of clients, supplying information of a high-quality with detailed, robust budgets, and relevant monitoring and evaluation measurements.
- To grow the organisation’s wider network of Trusts and Foundations, and to regularly produce applications that produce excellent results for our clients and internal development needs.
- To make consultancy-based recommendations to clients in relation to Trust and Foundation fundraising, including critiquing client documents and making strategic recommendations for approaching funders.
- To build on and develop a full understanding of other income streams, including major donor giving and corporate sponsorship, and to support the development of clear fundraising strategies with support from Senior Managers.
- To support Cause4in identifying and approaching funders for key internal programmes – generating additional income from statutory funders and Trusts and Foundations, including Arts Council England, National Lottery Heritage Fund, Big Lottery and Nesta.
- To write up research findings for client organisations, as well as acting as a consultant to make clear recommendations to clients where needed.
Organisational Development and Projects
- To work with the CEO and other Senior Managers to build commercial and Trust bids to meet our business plan requirements and ambitions for growth.
- To coordinate a personal portfolio of client and project work.
- To develop the skills and experience to produce full drafts of client strategy documents independently for submission to senior members of staff, making strategic recommendations based on expertise.
- To undertake training and client placements as required.
- To support the Senior Manager, Development and New Business with training, reviewing, and developing the skills of junior members of the Development Team in Trusts and Foundations Fundraising, writing skills and other key areas.
- To contribute to our overall information and training portfolio, drafting copy, writing content and fronting e-learning courses and other training activity where appropriate.
- To work with the Chief Executive and other colleagues to build Cause4’s knowledge in the fundraising sector.
- To develop and support Coordinators, Associates and Interns (where appropriate), ensuring a healthy and robust team culture, and to provide direct line-management when requested.
- To manage client and internal Cause4 events where appropriate, including occasional evening and weekend work and to represent Cause4 externally and to proactively promote Cause4 at external events.
- To actively contribute to the development of Cause4's website, social media and blog.
- To support internal team brainstorms and deliver internal and external training sessions as required.
- To contribute to Cause4’s overall business development.
- To keep abreast of funding developments and items of news interest relevant to the charity and social enterprise sectors and to share knowledge with the wider team, supporting junior staff members where needed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of three-years’ experience in working within a charitable organisation or agency, with proven success in fundraising and an existing network of funders.
- An understanding of the different fundraising concepts and income streams available to charities, and a willingness to learn and develop additional skills.
- A talented writer, able to draft applications and written material to a high level and within a tight deadline.
- Experience in preparing reports and presentations, which require strategic thought.
- A strong-coordinator, and able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- A proven track record of successfully leveraging income from Trusts and Foundations.
- The ability to pay close attention to detail, manage deliverables and to meet deadlines.
- A strong team player, proactive in support of the development of junior staff.
- Ability to operate with diplomacy, tact and with high levels of confidentiality.
- Passionate commitment to the work of charities, social enterprises and philanthropy.
- Demonstrable commitment to Cause4’svalues.
- An exciting opportunity to join a growing team, in a thriving co-working space (Mindspace) that hosts weekly events, including yoga, meditation, cultural activities, networking opportunities, skills development sessions, pizza parties and more.
- 30 days holiday a year inclusive of public holidays.
- Regular team events and celebrations.
- Regular performance and salary reviews.
- Flexible working.
- Private pension, health benefits and death in service insurance.
Cause4 is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from people from the widest possible diversity of backgrounds, cultures and experiences. Whilst the position is a full-time position, we may also consider a part-time option.
Send your cover letter, CV and one example of a successful funding application to Annie Jarvis, Senior Manager, Development and New Business. Deadline for applications is 8th August 2019.