Active Support Worker
Location: Camden, Islington, North London, London, Varied
Salary: £18,374.20 per annum (pro rata), rising to £20,298.20 upon successful completion of probation
Hours of Work: Range of full-time and part-time permanent (day or waking night) and flexible Bank opportunities available
About the Company:
Want to make a meaningful and lasting difference? Why not start today and join Centre 404 as a Support Worker! You'll get to see the direct impact you are making by offering people with learning disabilities the support they need to enjoy the same rights, freedom, responsibilities, choices and quality of life as others within the wider community.
As a Support Worker, you will provide support to children and/or adults with a range of mild, moderate and severe learning disabilities - this could be in their homes, at supported housing projects, at our Centre or out and about accessing exciting activities! Duties will include support with day to day aspects such as shopping, meals, personal care, and attending appointments, as well as with leisure, social and physical activities, hobbies and personal interests with an emphasis on helping develop skills, confidence and relationships.
Active Support Worker Responsibilities:
* Support to service users with learning disabilities living in their own home.
* To understand and adhere to the philosophies, policies and principles upon which the service is based.
* To work in such a way that allows the service users to be involved in day to day and long term decision making.
* To offer support to service users enabling them to build confidence, self-esteem and an independent life style.
* To support service users in the management of their own personal care in a sensitive way and undertake moving and handling duties as required.
* To adhere to safeguarding procedures and to remain vigilant for signs of abuse, taking immediate action and reporting all issues of concern with the line manager.
* To share in, support and involve the service users in all the usual domestic activities such as cleaning, shopping and cooking using methods of active support.
* Support service users to maintain good health and attend health appointments.
* To work with the service users in such a way that takes account of their individual, cultural and religious needs.
* To provide and participate in a wide range of social activities, including holidays, using integrated services.
* To act as a keyworker to individual service users.
* To support service users in the organisation of their regular Person Centred Planning meetings. Participate in and prepare reports for these meetings.
* To participate in the implementation of agreed individual plans, this may include structured teaching of skills.
* To liaise with families, advocates, other professionals, the DWP and outside bodies where appropriate.
Active Support Worker Requirements:
* Able to travel on your own and with service users to a variety of locations within and outside the borough
* Willing and able to offer physical support to service users including manual handling supporting wheelchair users, completion of household tasks such as shopping and cleaning.
* 5 GCSEs or equivalent professional qualification
* Aware of issues affecting people with learning disabilities as well as an understanding of health and safety issues as they affect service users
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Good IT skills with the ability to use Microsoft computer packages, the internet and write clear reports and keep accurate records
* Strong numeracy skills
* Able to work unsupervised and on own initiative
* Enthusiastic and motivated to support adults with learning disabilities
* Experience of working with people with learning disabilities, including people with high support needs or experience of working with a vulnerable client group
* Experience of working with people with mental health needs.
* Experience of working with people from varied social and cultural backgrounds
* Experience of planning support and activities for people so they have a fun, active and fulfilled life
Active Support Worker Benefits:
* Annual Leave entitlement to increase with length of service -after 12 months' continuous employment, increase to 24 days pro rata, 25 days after 2 years
* We contribute 3% towards your pension through the People's Pension
* We offer a token of gratitude for longstanding staff. Whether it is 5, 10 and 15 years of service, we really appreciate it!
* In-house training tailored to your role, as well as opportunities for external training courses.
* Opportunities to develop your career with a strong internal promotional culture and grow with us!
* Regular opportunities to offer feedback, make your voice heard, and to contribute to organisational actions and objectives.
* After 3 years working with us, opportunity to take up to 6 months