We are looking for a volunteer and their dog to attend a supported living home with a complex service user with autism and mental health issues.
The service user loves animals, especially dogs and his long-term goal is to get his own dog one day so he needs to get some practice in before then!
We need a volunteer and their dog to help the service user prepare to be a good owner by going for walks, petting and playing together, learning how dogs interact with other dogs and how to keep dogs happy and healthy.
- Providing companionship and regular interaction with you and your dog for the service user.
- Going for walks in the local community/parks.
- Playing and petting the dog – the service user loves to cuddle and stroke animals (sensory gratification).
- Helping to teach the service user how to keep dogs happy and healthy and recognise that a dog is a big responsibility.
- Preferably have experience, professional or personal, with adults with autism and mental health issues.
- Smiley, kind and soft spoken.
- Being able to keep professional boundaries and stick to guidelines and risk assessments.
- Discretion and ability to keep information confidential.
- Ability to adhere to Centre 404’s mission statement and values, and use a person centred based approach when working with others.
- Smaller dogs preferable.
- Induction to Centre 404 and Housing Induction.
- Adult Safeguard Training.
- First Aid Training + PBS (Positive Behaviour Support) *subject to availability*.
- Service User Specific Induction (provided by the project manager).
The recruitment of all volunteer placements adhere to Centre 404’s equal opportunities policy. All volunteers are required to complete a DBS check as our building acts as a centre for children. All volunteer placements are also subject to references.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.