We are looking for volunteers to help provide an opportunity for young people with learning to disabilities to build up their social confidence and increase their travel independence within their local community.
About the Role:
Some of the young people attending our after school clubs and holiday playschemes are working to gain more independence as they grow older. One of the most important aspects of this, is learning about their local area and how to use public transport safely, so they can travel independently. We would like to encourage more of our young people to develop these skills so they can come to Centre 404 without their parents or our minibus service.
To prepare for the role, we’d like our travel buddies to attend the same club as their buddy so you can get to know each other and so you have a chance to shadow our staff members. After a few sessions you would start to support your buddy from their home or school to the club and/or from the club to their home (possibly with their parents or with a support worker at first) and then for a fixed period depending on need – e.g. 6 weeks, with the focus being on safety, road awareness and knowledge of the route.
This role suits someone with:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Trustworthy, reliable, and good at time-keeping.
- A calm and friendly approach.
- The confidence to ask questions and communicate effectively with staff members.
Responsibilities and Additional Notes:
As part of your role, you will be building up a trusting relationship and eventually be working one to one with a young person. It is important you’re aware of the responsibility that comes with that. By committing to the role, you are agreeing to do the following:
- Report any incidents – e.g. accidents, unusual behaviour.
- Complete online safeguarding training, inductions and any other training as requested by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Fill in travel buddy feedback form and independent travel questionnaires with your buddy.
Required Training (Provided by Centre 404):
- Induction to Centre 404 and Learning and Leisure Induction
- Child Safeguarding Training
- First Aid
The recruitment of all volunteer placements adhere to Centre 404’s equal opportunities policy. All volunteer positions are subject to a DBS check and receipt of references.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.