Reporting to – Major Gifts Manager
- Purpose of the Role
Chance to Shine is a national charity on a mission to spread the power of cricket throughout schools and communities. The charity takes cricket to new places and uses it to ignite new passions, teach vital skills, unite diverse groups, and educate young people from Cornwall to Cardiff to County Durham.
The Fundraising Team’s purpose is to secure funding for the charity’s programmes across a range of funding streams: Corporate/Commercial, Trusts/Foundations, Major Donors/Individuals, Communities, Statutory and Cricket Partners. All funds raised are required to support the future of Chance to Shine’s programmes.
The Fundraising Assistant for Chance to Shine will support the growth of fundraising income by providing exceptional supporter care, including the accurate and efficient processing and acknowledgement of all donations, coordinating and supporting key events and maintaining the supporter database.
The post holder will ensure that supporters and the general public are extremely satisfied with their interactions, whether over the phone, in writing or face-to-face. When required, they will support seasonal events for the fundraising team, and support community fundraising initiatives (alongside the Corporate & Event’s Executive). The post holder will ensure that all supporter and donation information on fundraising database is accurate and will provide data selections and reports for supporter mailings and campaigns.
- Key Responsibilities
The Fundraising Assistant responsibilities include:
- Ensure all donations are efficiently and accurately recorded and acknowledged: writing appropriate and timely acknowledgement letters and emails
- Write and update template thank you letters
- Respond to donor enquiries and provide personalised information as when requested
- Work with the Major Gift Manager to develop the supporter care strategy, proactively identifying and implementing new ways of improving supporter care
- Regularly identify lapsed committed givers and reactivate them through mailings
- Support and advise individual supporters and community organisations on fundraising activities and events
- Managing all third-party fundraising/gift-collection platforms
- Writing, producing and sending out fundraising materials to include our biannual CTS newsletter
- Leading Supporter Care project visits
Processing donations and coordinating Gift Aid claims:
- Ensure all donations are efficiently and accurately put on our Raisers Edge database and processed (cash, cheques, credit cards, Direct Debits and vouchers) in a timely manner
- Import standing order and Direct Debit payments onto the fundraising database
- Maintain the efficiency of processing donations
- Process Gift Aid claims whilst liaising with the finance team
- Coordinate the validation and scanning of Gift Aid declarations
- Reconcile income recorded on fundraising database with the finance team
Developing and maintaining the fundraising database:
- Maintain procedures for data entry, data selections, and reporting, ensuring that data protection requirements are met
- Ensure that others in the fundraising team use the database in line with agreed procedures
- Produce data selections for the Major Gift Manager; ensuring data is delivered to schedule, well presented and to specification.
- Use the reporting and query modules of the database and Excel to provide reports and information to the organisation.
- Manage the work of volunteers who provide support on an ad hoc basis
- Ensuring all processes comply with GDPR guidelines and are in line with the Fundraising Regulator and any other regulatory bodies
- Undertake other responsibilities not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature and which have been discussed and agreed with the line manager.
- Work occasional evenings or weekends to support fundraising events (for which time off in lieu will be given).
- Coordinate fundraising team meetings
- Managing workspace access for the Fundraising Team
- Resources managed
- Key relationships
The job holder will liaise with:
- Chief Executive and the CTS senior management team
- Fundraising, Finance & Resources, Operations, PR & Communications teams
- External supporters, prospective supporters, and suppliers
- Volunteers working in the fundraising team
- Skills, knowledge & personal competencies
- Enthusiasm to embrace Chance to Shine values: Inspiring, ambitious, passionate, inclusive and fun
- Experience and understanding of what makes exceptional supporter/customer care
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills and experience of talking to supporters/customers over the phone and face to face
- Basic knowledge of charity fundraising
- Experience of supporting individuals and groups in fundraising activities
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Able to work under pressure and stay calm and professional at all times, even when faced with difficult situations
- Able to work on own initiative-confident/self-starter/finisher
- An effective and enthusiastic team player
- Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of Chance to Shine
- Experience & qualifications
- One year to 18 months experience of working in a fundraising environment (Essential)
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience of working with databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge (Essential)
- Degree level (Desirable)
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign (Desirable)
- Excellent IT skills including experience with Excel and Word (Essential)