CHICKS is a national children’s charity providing free respite breaks to young people aged 8-17 from all over the UK who would really benefit from a break from their home lives. We were established in 1992 and since then we have provided over 16,000 young people with a much-needed break.
We believe that every young person has the right to make positive childhood memories. A CHICKS break inspires new confidence and gives young people the chance to have fun, enjoy new experiences and relax. More than anything, it gives them the chance to just be children.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Director of Operations to lead on several transformational projects across the organisation, reporting directly into the Chief Executive.
Our focus over the next 12 months will be re-setting the vision, purpose and goals and repositioning our brand under a new operating model.
The successful candidate will take full operational responsibility for the provision of young people services, to strategically shape and improve the quality of breaks, and develop new approaches to ensure that all young people receive the best possible experience at CHICKS.
You will be a dynamic, creative and an effective manager, with a proven track record of working in a senior role that places people at the centre. You will have strong commercial acumen, able to spot opportunity, build strong business cases and work closely with the Chief Executive and Board of Trustees to deliver against the strategy.
Scope & Purpose:
The Director of Operations will direct, coordinate, and lead the internal structure of our organisation, based on company policies, goals, and objectives to ensure an efficient working environment and that deadlines are met consistently.
The Director of Operations will also lead all aspects of our facilities, including upkeep, care, maintenance, health and safety and fire safety regulations.
Committed to CHICKS vision and values, the Director of Operations will inspire, motivate, and empower others, building a high-performance culture across the organisation.
To succeed in this role, you must be able to demonstrate:
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience at a senior management level within the charity sector
· Proven track record of implementing high-level strategy and initiatives across a complex range of stakeholders, including Trustees
· A thorough knowledge of best practise, governance and safeguarding policies relating to the care of young people and staff
· Extensive experience of people management – recruitment, onboarding, and performance management to drive results
· A minimum of 3 years’ experience managing multi sites, remote working to deliver results aligned to charity goals
· Experience of working closely with funders and building effective relationships, across all stakeholders
· The ability to deliver business targets, with a focus on the growth and development of services across the organisation
· Responsive to external funding opportunities and delivering results
· Demonstrable experience in managing multiple projects simultaneously and timely
· Excellent budget and decision-making skills
· Extensive knowledge & management experience of Health & Safety, fire safety regulations and law
· Significant experience in improving ways of working, reviewing, and implementing new systems, processes, and cost-effective initiatives across a number of sites
· Procurement – a track record of reviewing service contracts, suppliers regularly to reduce costs
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to engage and develop staff
· Plan and deliver high level business wide communications including board reports
In line with our values, we are looking for someone who is:
· Value and outcome driven, with a positive, “can do” attitude with a passion to deliver projects
· A leader with the ability to see a problem, step in and then step out when appropriate
· A coach who is driven by the personal development of all of those around them
· A strategic, highly motivated thinker with the ability to thrive in ambiguity
· Highly collaborative with fantastic facilitation skills
· Enthusiastic with a sense of pride in the work delivered and the quality of how it was delivered
· An open and honest individual who both welcomes and provides feedback in a way that is constructive and thoughtful
· Positively promote the work of CHICKS both internally and externally, and be a representative at stewardship and cultivation events
· Prioritise tasks to ensure maximum return on investment of your time and resources
· Willingness to travel, as required to support meetings or to achieve agreed objectives
· Willingness to work unsocial hours, including evenings, weekends and stay overnight
· To work in line with the CHICKS Mission, Vision, and Values consistently, working with others to provide a supportive, responsive, environment and services
· To present a positive image of CHICKS at all times, through every aspect of your work
· To ensure that all CHICKS policies, procedures, and agreed protocols are adhered to
· To contribute to the planning, review, monitoring and reporting processes and activities
· To participate in team meetings and activities and represent CHICKS at other meetings as agreed
· To respect the rights of individuals by maintaining confidentiality and working in line with data protection legislation
· To attend training courses as identified and agreed for appropriate development
· To undertake other duties not specifically stated above, which from time to time are necessary without altering the nature or level of responsibility involved
· To make a commitment to improving CHICKS environmental impact by means of energy saving and recycling in the workplace
General Health & Safety Duties:
· To undertake regular risk assessments and take any necessary action to avoid potential health and safety hazards
· Having read CHICKS Health and Safety manual, ensure compliance at all times with CHICKS Health and Safety Policies including accident reporting procedures; fire drills and first aid facilities
Closing Date for Applications: Midday, Friday 17 July 2020
Formal interviews are likely to take place at the end of July 2020
We will be reviewing applications as soon as they come in so please ensure that you act quickly if you are interested in this post. CHICKS reserve the right to close this advert prior to the closing date specified, should we find the suitable candidate.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.