- Permanent, full-time post
- Based at CMS House, Oxford, with some flexibility for home working and normally up to 50 days of international travel per annum. (Currently CMS employees are working from home following government guidance, and will continue to do so until the government advises office working.)
- Starting salary £45,315 and generous pension contribution: up to 15 per cent employer contribution on annual salary
- As an equal opportunities employer, we particularly welcome applications from individuals from minority groups as they are currently underrepresented within our organisation at this level. All appointments are made on merit of skill, experience and potential as laid down in the job description and person specification.
Do you have a heart for God’s global mission and a head for strategy implementation? Are you good at influencing and leading people through change? If so, then you might be just the right person to take on the key role of director of international mission with Church Mission Society (CMS).
Like many mission organisations, over the past few decades CMS has gone through a process of decentralisation and localisation, resulting in the establishment of CMS-Africa and Asia-CMS within their respective regions. In addition, while CMS once worked primarily through placing people from the West in cross-cultural contexts, we’ve broadened our approach to include supporting local mission organisations and their mission personnel, partnership grant-making and network-building.
For the past year CMS has been carrying out an organisational strategic review to address three key issues:
- A need for greater focus and clarity of purpose
- A need for clarity of identity and role
- A need for financial sustainability
This has resulted in the formation of a renewed international mission strategy. As a member of the senior leadership team (SLT), the director of international mission will play a key part in leading this strategic direction to success together with the CEO, the rest of the SLT, international partners and the international mission team. As a servant leader with exceptional cross-cultural communication skills, the successful candidate will set up processes and structures that mobilise people in mission and enable, strengthen and catalyse mission movements, leading them to flourish in the UK and overseas.
The ideal candidate will have a postgraduate qualification in business management or significant equivalent experience, and will have held a senior role in a mission organisation/charity with responsibility for managing, formulating and implementing international strategy. They will be a prayerful, discerning Christian, with some missiological knowledge and insight, which will lead to effective mission partnerships and nurture a healthy mission spirituality within CMS.
Further details can be found in the job description and person specification available to download.
This post has an occupational requirement for the post holder to be a practising and committed Christian, committed to the aims, values and the ethos statement of CMS. In addition, they must be able and willing to travel internationally around 50 days per annum. An enhanced criminal records check is also required for this post.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications:
- Midnight 5 January 2021 GMT
- First round of interviews will be held 19 or 20 January 2021 via Zoom.
For this post, CMS will consider sponsorship of a UK work permit for the right candidate.
Thank you for prayerfully exploring this opportunity.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.