ESOL and Functional Skills Tutor (Part time or Full time))
Salary: £28,000 pro rata
Part Hours of work: 21 hours a week (excluding unpaid breaks)
Full Hours of work: 35 hours a week (excluding unpaid breaks)
Working Days: 3 days / 5 days week 9am to 5pm
Reports to: Head of Curriculum
7% Employer pension contribution after 3 months
25 days annual leave (increasing 1 day per year up to 30 days) + bank holidays pro rata
Season ticket loan & Cycle Scheme
The ESOL and Functional Skills Tutor will work with our service users to improve literacy levels, enable integration and participation in local communities and enable learners to progress towards their personal study and work targets. This role involves planning and teaching Pre-Entry ESOL, Entry Level ESOL and Functional Skills English or Maths courses.
The ESOL and Functional Skills Tutor will create a welcoming and safe space where learning and achievement is enabled for some of the most vulnerable women in the area. The post-holder will benefit from working alongside an established team of tutors and support workers with whom they can share best practice and creatively shape bespoke programmes such as Pre-Entry ESOL to best meet learner needs each term.
Duties and responsibilities
- Developing engaging and effective schemes of work for ESOL Entry 1 – Entry 3 and Functional Skills English, ICT and Maths courses to contractual requirements
- Delivering engaging, inclusive and relevant lessons for ESOL Entry 1 – Entry 3 and Functional Skills English, ICT and Maths courses
- Leading course-specific initial assessment of learners and regular review of assessment methods and papers
- Building one-to-one relationships with learners in order to set and assess progress on learning aims
- Administrative duties for course tracking and funding requirements
- Engaging with quality management processes to ensure that teaching maintains and improves OFSTED standards
- Meeting required attendance, punctuality, retention and achievement targets for courses as set by line manager
- Complete qualification administration to required standards for awarding body and verified by IQA/EQA
- Working with other team members to highlight learners’ safeguarding needs and to maximise retention of learners
- Bringing strategic ideas and support to the Women’s Programmes team by engaging with team meetings and connecting teaching to the wider aims of the department
- Other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job as requested by the line manager or Head of Department
- Post-holder will actively follow City Gateway policies
- Post-holder will maintain an awareness and observation of Fire and Health & Safety Regulations
City Gateway is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. Safe recruitment of staff is central to this commitment. Employment is subject to an enhanced DBS check and past employment checks
Equality and Diversity
City Gateway is committed to equality and valuing diversity. We welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in our workforce.
Please view the full job description for a person specification.
How to apply
To apply, please send in a CV and letter us know if you are interested in full time or part time, accompanied by a Covering Letter explaining your interest in working for City Gateway and your suitability for the role. We look forward to hearing from you!
Closing date: Thursday 15th August 2019
Interview date: TBC
* We reserve the right to close the application process without prior notice once we have selected a suitable candidate for recruitment.